How to change the estimated mash efficiency on BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebbb

Reaction score
Hey guys, using Beersmith it automatically calculates my brewing mash efficiency to 78% which is wrong as I do BIAB and it is much closer to 65-70%.

On the section 'session' it seems like I can't edit the gap about 'est mash eff'.

Any help?

I had the same question a few years back, here was the answer

The mash efficiency is essentially calculated back from the brewhouse efficiency. BeerSmith uses brewhouse efficiency instead of mash efficiency to estimate gravities. See this article for a further explanation:
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Cheers,
Brad

You can change it in the recipe by entering your desired efficiency in the tot efficiency field. To change the default, edit your equipment profile.

Last edited:
bs2 calculates mash efficiency based on brewhouse efficiecny and kettle / chiller trub losses.

If you need to change your mash efficiency, then you need to adjust one of those two variables.

Have you customized your equipment profile and mash profile? If not, you really should. All of the profiles provided in the software are merely suggested starting points. You need to take your own volume measurements, weigh your mash tun etc. Once you have accurate profiles set up your numbers will reflect your true results. Here are a couple of video tutorials... (the Brulosophy channel also has mash profile set up for batch sparge, BIAB and maybe one more)

What others said. You manipulate the est mash eff by adjusting the brewhouse efficiency.

This means that you need to use more grains. Adjust the brewhouse efficiency so the mash efficiency mirrors your IRL mash efficiency, then click on the OG-slider which is located at the bottom of the screen, and input your desired OG. Your grainbill will go up, so you'll need more grains comparing to before you did this. The new amount of grains will automatically be updated in the recipe window.

Back