how to carbonate a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrobertson

Reaction score
i like the sit and forget method for a week plus but is it okay to hook up the beer line disconnect while carbonating or should i just hook up the gray gas coupler and leave the black one off? thank you

This thread is in the wrong spot, but to answer your question you can leave the beer line connector on without any problems.

Gentlemen - I've kegged about six batches and have only force carbed. My question is this: is there any benefit to carbing naturally and then dispense with the gas…I know it will save on gas, but will the beer be any better? I know natural carbonation will leave sediment on the bottom of the keg which I don’t mind if it improves the beer. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.but

my experience is that there is no more sediment in the keg when you carb with priming sugar compared to when you force carb with the tank.

I prime with sugar for two reasons:
1) to save gas in the tank (as you noted)
2) to save room in the kegerator. Mine only holds 2 kegs. I like those 2 to both be ready-to-drink kegs rather than waiting-for-it-to-carb kegs.

Thanks, Walker - I hadn't considered the space issue but that is a great point. Do you think the beer is any better or the same as gas beer?

Thanks, Walker - I hadn't considered the space issue but that is a great point. Do you think the beer is any better or the same as gas beer?

I've done it both ways and there is no effect on the beer. gas is gas. If anything there is a psychological difference.

i like the sit and forget method for a week plus but is it okay to hook up the beer line disconnect while carbonating or should i just hook up the gray gas coupler and leave the black one off? thank you

Go ahead and hook it up. Have a sample, clear the yeast, etc... Try a tiny sip every day and see how it changes. I think it's interesting to see how the carbonation changes the taste of the beer. Initially, it becomes very acidic and then the acid melds with the beer. At some point when the carbonation is just right the beer flavors will peak and you know it's done.

Usually I will test on an almost daily basis like you say. But I've always force carbed and just wasn't sure if there was any benefit to natural. Thanks for the tip.

Back