How to build a kegerator - step-by-step with pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Fathers day came and went. I promised my pops that I'll build him a kegerator. This weekend seemed like perfect time, and while doing it, I thought that I'll put together a little step-by-step instructions... Enjoy.

I started with purchasing a Danby 4.3 cu ft fridge off craigslist. Good deal, only $55 and nearly brand new. Model number DA044A2SLDD

IMG_2465.JPG

What's great about this model, is if you remove all the trays from the door. One corny keg fits just perfectly. If you want to fit two, you'll need to pull off the door panel. More on this later.

Let's start with drilling the top and installing the tap.

For the tower I'm using a stainless steel toilet brush that I got for $12 at Home Goods. You can get them at Ross, Marshals, Homegoods or wherever type overstock household goods store is near you.

IMG_2487.JPG

The tower is only 10" high however, so to raise it a bit I'm using a 4" black PVC pipe cap.

First let's drill the top of the fridge.

Remove the top plastic tray/cover by removing three screws from the back of the tray and three in front. Underneath the front lip above the door.

IMG_2468.JPG

On this particular model I found that there might be a line running about 6 inches from the back. I determined that by turning on the fridge and looking for hot spots with my hand.

Just to make sure there were no lines I drilled two pilot holes where I wanted to make holes with a small drill bit.

Gently break through the outer sheet. Once through stop drilling and just probe the insulation with the drill bit. If you hit resistance, stop. I did not so I knew I was safe!

IMG_2501.JPG

now, enlarge the center hole with a 1/4 drill bit so the 1/4" screw will pass.

With a stepper bit expend the other hole to appropriate size. Do this through inside and outside. Remove excess insulation and drive the copper pipe through. Make sure the fit is snug.

IMG_2504.JPG

Using the same procedure, make holes in the 4" end cap, and the bottom decorative cap from the toilet brush.

IMG_2508.JPG

Measure 1" from the middle and with a hammer and nail make an indentation. That will hold the pilot drill but from sliding.

IMG_2512.JPG

Make a pilot hole.

With the step bit again, enlarge the hole to appropriate size.

The metal is soft, so it will be easy.

After you slice your finger open, swing your arm frantically so that the blood gets all over the garage floor, your car, your wife's car, and the walls.

censored.jpg

Sprinkle blood over the staircase and carpet on the way to the bathroom. Once there, make it look like a scene of a violent crime. Don't worry about getting a little on the tile. It will wash right off.

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

Immediately after completing that task wake your wife up from her dead sleep. It's only 12:45am anyway. Preceded to tell her that you cut your finger open and that you may need stitches.

She will laugh at you at first, but after looking at your bloody mess of a finger she will realize that you're serious. Give her few minutes. Her nausea will eventually go away. Whiles she's recovering use that time to find that first aid kit and put gauze and tape over the finger. Make sure you wrap it really tight or else you will bleed through it really quick.

Once your wife recovers and the nausea subsides, ask her to drive you to the emergency room. It's an inconvenient part of the project but it has to be done.

IMG_2520.JPG

The emergency room can take a while, but make the best use of this time and relax for a bit. Crack a joke with the nurse. the time will pass quick.

IMG_2522.JPG

your finger may require up to 9 stitches. I was able to talk them into an extra one for free! (I hope). So in total I came out with 10 stitches.

IMG_2523.JPG

Now you're almost done with the project. After you come back home sometime around 3 am, the only thing left to do is the cleanup.

If you did a really good initial job of spraying blood everywhere, you'll be rewarded with a scene that can only be found in blockbuster Hollywood movies.

And finally after you find a piece of flesh still dangling from the piece of metal you cut your finger with, say to yourself... "f##k this s**t," and go to bed.

IMG_2516.JPG

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

Remembered -- think twice, drill once.

Nice one, Bartp. I made the similar mistake with a SS electrical box cover and a step bit.

BTW - thanks for having the where with all to take pictures and document the event. As we all know, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

Ha, awesome. One of the better things I have read on here. A good injury can really get the ball rolling on a DIY project.

Back