How to best clean floating dip tube attached to fermonster lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob_Brewer

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a fermonster with modified lid with ball locks and floating dip tube. After brew days I always put the entire lid and floating dip tube in a bucket of HOT water with PBW and then rinse with hot water after a couple of hours. But due to hops/krausen/trub etc, the dip tube has a nice patina yellow greenish color and seems like its just stained but still clean. Anyone have any other tricks/tips for getting this dip tube looking better?

Hello all, I have a fermonster with modified lid with ball locks and floating dip tube. After brew days I always put the entire lid and floating dip tube in a bucket of HOT water with PBW and then rinse with hot water after a couple of hours. But due to hops/krausen/trub etc, the dip tube has a nice patina yellow greenish color and seems like its just stained but still clean. Anyone have any other tricks/tips for getting this dip tube looking better?
So it’s almost bound to happen but you should also disassemble it completely when you clean it. The poppet being closed will prevent you from cleaning the line and the post properly. Just buy like 10-20 ft of line and replace it every so often.

Last edited:
So it’s almost bound to happen but you should also disassemble it completely when you clean it. The poppet being closed will prevent you from cleaning the line and the post properly. Just buy like 10-20 ft of line and replace it every so often.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have taken it apart from the lid before to clean but not every brewday. The times I didn't, I just put a liquid QD on the ball lock to get hot PBW all the way through easily. But yes, I agree that I might just buy a bunch of it to replace every so often.

Do you really take the silicone hose off the SS ends on the ball and ball lock end every brew day? Its such a tight fit and a PITA to get on and off short of just cutting it. lol

need to measure the diameter of the silicone tube so I know what Im searching for lol. Haven't measured it yet.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have taken it apart from the lid before to clean but not every brewday. The times I didn't, I just put a liquid QD on the ball lock to get hot PBW all the way through easily. But yes, I agree that I might just buy a bunch of it to replace every so often.

Do you really take the silicone hose off the SS ends on the ball and ball lock end every brew day? Its such a tight fit and a PITA to get on and off short of just cutting it. lol

need to measure the diameter of the silicone tube so I know what Im searching for lol. Haven't measured it yet.
Yeah. Got to soak the line in hot water for a few minutes so it becomes more flexible then it’s not too difficult to attach

Back