How to add sugar to fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal, 1.030 OG beer that I want to add 2lb of sucrose do during ferment (yes, I know it's a lot). My plan is to dissolve the sugar in wort in a sanitized pitcher then pour into the fermenter. My question is, when should I add the sugar and how many times? Should I do half on the day after pitching and half the day after that? Should I split it up into four additions and start on day 3? I have no idea what is the best way to go about it.

I do plan to add a lot of Fermaid K with my sugar additions.

Thanks!

Why not add it during the boil?

If you must add it during fermentation, I would just literally pour it dry directly into the fermenter. I would be worried about oxidation if I tried mixing it with some wort after fermentation had already started.

I think I would wait a few days for the fermentation to calm down a bit then make a simple syrup with your sugar, just boil enough water to dissolve the sugar in, and add that. I think adding the sugar directly could give you a beer fountain and would not be sanitized.

I think I would wait a few days for the fermentation to calm down a bit then make a simple syrup with your sugar, just boil enough water to dissolve the sugar in, and add that. I think adding the sugar directly could give you a beer fountain and would not be sanitized.

^do that. If you're worried about splashing, you could sanitize a funnel and some line, put the line right into the beer, and pour slowly.

For a 5 gallon brew, that's going to raise the OG about 20 points....... the only reasons to add it to the fermenter instead of the boil are if you are shooting for a very high gravity beer.. Or your gravity is low....... which seems to be the case here. I never add dry sugar, but there's no reason not to........... the best approach is to boil it up with 2 cups of water, and some citric acid or cream of tarter (1/4 tsp)........ boil it down until the temp reaches around 220 - 225, cool it some, and pour it still fairly hot into the fermenter...... You now have invert sugar, and yeast loves invert sugar... It'll gobble it up pretty fast without having to expend the energy to break sucrose down.

H.W.

Back