How the hell do I stop my sister's cat from stealing my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollofrost

Reaction score
Ok, the cat has done it again. This time she made off with $5 of go-ferm and before that it was yeast hulls. Before that it was my fermaid-k.

I try to keep my brewing stuff in a sealed box so that she can't get to it but the second I take anything out she ninjas it when I'm not looking. She drags it out into the living room and starts eating it like a crack addict going through withdrawls. I've tried rubbing her face in it and telling her no but nothing seems to work.

WTF am I gonna do?

I keep all my supplies either in tupperware containers or in a closet with the door closed.

However on brew day it all comes out and sits on the table. If the cat is up on the table stealing stuff, I think I'd kick the crap out of it just for being up on the table.

electric_stun_gun_product15.jpg

Weird. I have three cats. None has ever expressed in interest in my brewing ingredients or gear except as boxes (or mash tuns) to play in.

I second the idea of a spray bottle. That's how I keep/train our cats to stay off the countertops. A quick squirt usually does the trick. Unlike dogs, who feel bad when they've done something wrong, trying to show cats what they've done just results in them thinking you're a bigger ******* than they did before. It's more about aversion therapy. Hop on the counter or steal yeast? You get zapped with cold water. Like peeing on an electric fence, you don't do it more than a couple of times before you figure out that it's a bad idea.

Yeah, I moved out of the house when I was 17... I split a two bedroom apt with my older sister. She's the one that gave me my first shot of bushmills and the first beer I actually liked so she makes a pretty good roomie.

I'll try the water but I don't think it'll work as the cat is so attracted to yeast that it will actually try and drink the pbw solution out of a soaking carbuoy. WTF is wrong with this cat?

sprray bottle of water.... will fix it right up, i use my cats to heat the yeast when i take them out of the fridge..... they dont give a **** about brewing untill there is a blowoff... then its PAR TAY!

Ya know, I was going to make a smartass comment but the to go box picture covered it...

Shot in the dark but I'd try giving the cat some of the trub from a previous batch when you're dealing with brewing stuff. Should be a good distraction. I kinda wonder if there's a nutritional deficiency that's manifesting itself in this way.

More practically, put the fark in a kennel/ crate when you're dealing with brewing stuff.

Oh for a cat free home...

Sorry about my hockey stick comment. This was sooo insensitive.

I think the best idea is the water squirter...

and a hockey stick.

You've got 2 hands, right?

get some bread yeast from the grocery store and distract her from your yeast with it. Put it in her food or something like that before you get your yeast out then lock her in a different room. Sometimes cats will let you train them, but it's way easier to just distract them instead.

Or, use the bread yeast as bait and give her a squirt of water every time she comes near it, depending on how angry you are about the whole thing...

Dude... You like beer and the buzz it brings, yes? Give yo' sister's cat some respect. Animals like to tie one on once in awhile too. So before you brew, I'd suggest gettin' your sister's annoying cat some 'nip and let 'er get her freak on.

If she still manages to bother you during this time, then I give you the following advice: "There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.” (Scott Adams)

Sorry about my hockey stick comment. This was sooo insensitive.

I think the best idea is the water squirter...

and a hockey stick.

You've got 2 hands, right?

+1 on the hockey stick, I love my cat but if she gangstered my brewing supplies I would slap shot her through the doorway, cats are stubborn though, but I think I could hat trick her into leaving my sh*t alone

Cats are smart so you need to make a statement. You need to set up a 'dummy' packet of yeast with some Tobasco sauce and hot pepper on it. Let the cat come up and take it in it's frenzy. I think the cat will leave it alone after that.

It won't hurt the cat, but will definitely leave an impression.

Ok, the cat has done it again. This time she made off with $5 of go-ferm and before that it was yeast hulls. Before that it was my fermaid-k.

I try to keep my brewing stuff in a sealed box so that she can't get to it but the second I take anything out she ninjas it when I'm not looking. She drags it out into the living room and starts eating it like a crack addict going through withdrawls. I've tried rubbing her face in it and telling her no but nothing seems to work.

WTF am I gonna do?

Can't you put the cat into a bathroom or spare bedroom while you brew?

Another one for the water bottle. Put it on a pin-point spray and give it a squirt or two. They learn fairly quick.

I've got a real bastard of a cat that doesn't respond at all to squirt bottles. He doesn't like it, but it doesn't send him running off either. Various "Cat-B-Gone" sprays have absolutely no effect, neither does yelling, clapping or much of anything else. It wouldn't be so bad, but he's huge and digs holes in the carpet and craps everywhere but the litter box. (Yeah, he's healthy and I've tried different litter, box, location, etc.) He's just an a$$hole cat.

I would just slip it a few K-Sorbate tabs. That should do the trick! If it likes eating your other brewing supplies, teach it a lesson by hand feeding it those!

I've got a real bastard of a cat that doesn't respond at all to squirt bottles. He doesn't like it, but it doesn't send him running off either. Various "Cat-B-Gone" sprays have absolutely no effect, neither does yelling, clapping or much of anything else. It wouldn't be so bad, but he's huge and digs holes in the carpet and craps everywhere but the litter box. (Yeah, he's healthy and I've tried different litter, box, location, etc.) He's just an a$$hole cat.

Maybe a goalie stick for this cat.

Get a roll of strapping tape, the stuff with cords in it. Cut a 3' length and remove the fibers. Make a square around your goodies with the sticky fiber. Make certain your camera is working, we want pictures.

Back