How soon = too soon to check gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I finished my first PM the other day, and I am really curious to see if it attenuated properly. I brewed a dunkelweizen, should I check gravity a week after pitch or is it too soon?

I know it could ferment lower, but I kind of want a gage. It was not a vigorous fermentation which surprised me for a hefe yeast...So I am a little worried that I screwed up the mash not allowing enough fermentable sugars to develope.

If your original gravity was close (to that specified in the recipe) then your sugars should have developed, you can take final gravity readings any time you suspect fermentation is complete.

Well just checked it's at 1.021, too high. What are the chances that it won't lower, activity seems to be muted?

Also assuming it is stuck at 1.021 what would be the cause? I pitched a 1.5 letet start per mr. Malty and mashed at 152-154F for 60 min.

Latest posts

Back