How should I use my glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKHopHead

Reaction score
I own a 6.5 gallon bucket and a 6.5 gallon carboy for fermentation. I brewed my first batch last weekend and placed it in the bucket to ferment. I would like to get a second batch going before the first is finished. Should I

1. Transfer the first batch from the bucket to the carboy after a week or so, and then use the bucket to start the second batch, or
2. Just leave the first batch in the bucket and use the carboy to start the second batch?

I realize the benefits of using a secondary vessel are debatable but I figure since I already have the carboy, it might make more sense to use it as a secondary?

I use my 6.5 gal as a primary. The extra head space helps minimize the chance of a really crazy fermentation trying to blow my airlock out (though for bigger beers I generally start out with a blow off tube). Even when I did do a secondary I used the 6.5 for a primary and a smaller 5 gal for secondary to minimize head space. After reading these boards I was convinced to switch over to just a primary for most beers and my first couple done that way tasted just great. One less thing to clean, great!

Anyway, if you're not planning on doing secondary fermentation use either of those vessels as a primary and they'll be just fine!

Secondary fermentation is great for clarification, but isn't necessarily a terribly active fermentation. When you're beer is fermenting, it creates a pocket of CO2 above the surface, which pushes out all oxygen from the vessel and helps protect the beer. During primary, about 1.5 gallons of headspace above the beer is necessary for that super active time in the process, and it will allow for a great CO2 cushion above the beer (which is why we use 6.5 gallon vessels as fermenters). Using a 6.5 gallon carboy as a secondary may impose some problems however, as your fermentation may not be active enough to get that good CO2 covering.

Although, yes, whether to use a secondary or not is a debate for the ages, I would agree that in this situation, you'd be best using your 6.5 gallon as another primary rather than a secondary. Having said that, get a blow off tube for it if you choose to do this! (a quick search here on the forums will give you a quick primer on blow off tubes)

I prefer to use a bucket for primary since they are easier to clean, so if the fermentation is mostly complete on the first brew personally I would transfer it to he carboy and primary in the bucket again.

In addition, depending on what you are brewing you can retain part of the yeast cake and put it right back to work on the next brew. The fermentation will be strong so I suggest a blow off tube.

i would just ferment the new beer in the carboy. Why transfer/handle/mess with the beer more than you have to?

In your position, I would do one of two things:

if I were using different yeasts for the two beers, I'd just start the second beer in the carboy. There's less cleaning involved. If I were going to use the SAME yeast for both beers, I'd rack from the bucket to the keg, dump out about 1/2 of the yeast cake, then pitch the new beer on the yeast cake in the bucket.

In your position, I would do one of two things:

if I were using different yeasts for the two beers, I'd just start the second beer in the carboy. There's less cleaning involved. If I were going to use the SAME yeast for both beers, I'd rack from the bucket to the keg, dump out about 1/2 of the yeast cake, then pitch the new beer on the yeast cake in the bucket.

^ That or...

Leave it alone and start a new batch in the carboy. I rarely use my bucket to brew. I'm nerdy and like to see what's going on through the glass!

B

Either way is fine. If it were me, I'd probably just leave Thing 1 in The Bucket, and start Thing 2 in the carboy.

Yes, it's somewhat more difficult to clean, but if you fill with hot Oxiclean and let it sit for a couple of hours, you may not need to shove a washcloth in there to swirl around and wipe any residue with. (my secret to cleaning a carboy instead of using the darn "bottle brush").

Less handling of the beer.

Now if Thing 1 is a very big beer, and you want it to sit for several months, then racking to a secondary is not a bad idea.

You have two primaries. Pick up a 5 gallon for a secondary (or don't secondary) and use the 6.5 gallon carboy to start a second batch.

6.5 glass carboys are good for fermenting, but not as secondary vessels. Get a 5 gallon one for that to minimize head space.

The plus of a 6.5 glass is you won't have any scratches that might harbor bacteria. Using a brush in a 6.5 bucket is a no-no. Never a bad idea to have 2 fermentation vessels. Go buy 1 or 2 five gallon glass carboys and you're set!

You have two primaries. Pick up a 5 gallon for a secondary (or don't secondary) and use the 6.5 gallon carboy to start a second batch.
+1

Don't move your beer just use carboy for 2nd brew.
+1

6.5 glass carboys are good for fermenting, but not as secondary vessels. Get a 5 gallon one for that to minimize head space.
Never a bad idea to have 2 fermentation vessels.
This.

I would start the new one in the carboy. Let the other one relax on the cake.

Back