How should I combine these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggs

Reaction score
I want to make a DIPA using Magnum, Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic hops. I have the malt bill decided, but I'm struggling with how I should add these hops. I plan to do a 90 min. boil, and Magnum will definitely be my first bittering addition. Overall, I'd like to use around 6 oz. in the boil, and I plan to dry hop with more Amarillo and more Mosaic. Other than that, I'm not sure how much, or in what order I should add the Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic.

Opinions welcome! :mug:

You're right about the Amarillo at 60 (usually .75-.85oz is more than enough there). Problem with the other three is that the Citra will over power the other two. You could add the citra at 15 so it's more of a flavor hop and add the others at 5-1.

I agree that Citra will over power the others. I would use Magnum and Citra in one beer and Amarillo and Mosaic in another beer. I feel like the flavor will be muddled with those 4 varieties in one beer.

I would use Magnum to bitter @60 to 70-80 IBU. Then Do a 165F hop steep for 30 min with equal parts Amarillo and Citra and half as much Mosaic. So a ratio of 2:2:1. Dry hop generously with the same ratio of the three. This is a DIPA so I would use at least 6oz in the hop steep and 6oz again dry for a total of 12oz. in the beer. Go up to a pound or more if it suits your tastes. All of the above assumes a post boil volume of 6 gallons.

Please report back if you do this combination.

Do Magnum at 60 then oz citra at 15min, oz citra at 10min, and 4oz (2oz each) of amarillo and mosaic at flame out. You could let them steep for 10 to 20min if you wanted to as well.

Citra is strong but I don't think it will totally overpower the others

Interesting thoughts here, guys, appreciated. I'm actually leaning towards bittering with Simcoe, and then using Amarillo and Mosaic as either the late additions, or perhaps even using this steeping method. Simcoe is one of the Mosaic parents, so I'd have to think that would pair well. Amarillo is one of my favorites, so I definitely want to keep that in the brew.

Bittering with Simcoe, IMHO, is kind of a waste of that hop. It's more known for it's great aromatic properties and the longer you leave it in the boil the more you can potentially pull put it's not so nice flavors like onion and diesel fuel.

Back