How should I add my bourbon oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
I have a porter that has been in primary for 2 weeks. I have been soaking 2 ounces of oak chips in roughly 5 ounces of bourbon.

Should I rack to secondary or just add to primary? Should I include the liquid bourbon or just the chips?

I understand this is a personal taste thing, but I'm a total rookie so... you know...:mug:

Northern Brewer have a Bourbon Barrel Porter All Grain Kit and they recommend adding to Secondary.

From their instruction sheet:
"SECONDARY FERMENTER ADDITIONS
2 oz.Medium-plus toast American oak cubes
16 oz. Bourbon (not included in kit)"

you have that choice. if you want a strong bourbon taste, pour it all in. if you want a mild bourbon, just add the chips. i'd dump it all in ;) add it to the secondary

Northern Brewer have a Bourbon Barrel Porter All Grain Kit and they recommend adding to Secondary.

From their instruction sheet:
"SECONDARY FERMENTER ADDITIONS
2 oz.Medium-plus toast American oak cubes
16 oz. Bourbon (not included in kit)"

Woah, 16 ounces seems like a lot. Wonder if I should step up my bourbon amount?

Is this for a five gallon batch? Oak chips have A LOT more surface area than oak cubes. You can easily overwhelm a porter with whiskey oak flavors using 2 ounces of oak chips. I only use one ounce in my wee heavy for five to seven days, which is a MUCH higher gravity beer than a porter. Steam sanitize your oak chips in the microwave by nuking them with some distilled water for 4-5 minutes, then let them soak in about an ounce or two of your favorite whiskey or bourbon. I use two mini bottles of Johnny Walker red label. Cheap and easy.

I let my oak chips soak for about a week in the bourbon in a mason jar, and then pour them into a sanitized muslin hops bag. I also put a weight into the bag so it sinks into the beer (glass marbles, quartz rock, anything easily sanitized and chemically inert). Toss your hops bag into your primary fermenter about a week prior to bottling and start sneaking some samples with a wine thief about four days into the soak. In my Wee Heavy, it usually takes five to seven days for it to just start tasting over-oaked. This is right where you want it because the oak flavors will mellow and fade as the beer ages. Taste testing is the key, just don't toss it in and pray that it will work. You'll wind up with liquid wood.

In my experience,if you're soaking your oak in 80 proof bourbon,they don't need to be steamed. The high alcohol will sanitize them for you. You're just boiling away some flavor. I soak them in the bourbon in an airtight container in the fridge during primary fermentation. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie off & drop it in. Rack beer on top of them for 5-7 days on average.
I use the liquid as well since the bourbon soaks some of the resins out of the wood While soaking up bourbon flavor.

GenIke,
I'm also going brew a Bourbon Barrel Porter. I just received the grain from Brewmaster's Warehouse on Thursday. As I was browsing around, I noticed that Northern Brewer has a kit they sell that seems to be pretty popular. They even have the recipe and instructions posted. That is where I copied the little snippit above. I think I'm going to soak my oak cubes for a week and then add them to the secondary. Thanks to the others here for the hop sock idea. I would have probably just dumped the cubes into my secondary. I'll make a decsion about dumping in the remaining bourbon after I see how much the oak actually absorbs. I think I'm going to keg 2.5 gallons and put the remaining 2.5gal into 1L flip top bottles next to my 1yr old Barleywine.

I recently had a couple glasses of bourbon barrel stout at a restaurant in GA. It was excellent and that is when I decided to try making my own. I only decided on porter just because I don't have Nitrogen or a stout tap on my keezer.

Back