How on earth can Budweiser say this...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmead

Reaction score
What do you think of this statement found on every can:
"We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

You can write anything you want doesn't make it the truth. For example "The sky is green. That's the truth." No more truth in this statement than the Budweiser statement, it is all what someone wants to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's the key. They have the biggest brewery, they have the biggest output, therefore, they have the biggest equipment and process costs. It's not a lie, it's calculated, slick marketing!

When I was a teenager, I worked somewhere that had a huge Budweiser sign with that phrase on it and I always laughed about it. At the time I don't think I had ever drank beer before, but I knew that it had to be pure nonsense, if for no other reason than judging from the price of a six-pack of Budweiser compared to the price of a single bottle of some Belgian Abbey ale or whatever. I don't think craft beers had started yet back then (or if they had, they were just getting started).

I never considered the slick possibility that they were saying "We know of no other brewery that makes as much beer as we do, and thus we know of no other brewery that spends as much total money as we do across all of our factories in the world."

Because that wouldn't be impressive at all. That would just be deceptive and pathetic. Obviously anyone reading the can isn't going to interpret that way. They're going to think it means "we don't know of another beer where each can or bottle costs as much to make."

A lot of variable go into that. Not many brew quantities even close to what Budweiser does. So the cost involved in brewing a batch of Budweiser is just naturally a lot more expensive than say Dogfish 60 min based solely on the size of the batches. That being said, they also said "they don't know of any other" so maybe they just didn't bother to do any research.

It's a pretty. Vague phrase that really doesn't get into specifics like per bottle/barrel whatever. So it could be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I was a teenager, I worked somewhere that had a huge Budweiser sign with that phrase on it and I always laughed about it. At the time I don't think I had ever drank beer before, but I knew that it had to be pure nonsense, if for no other reason than judging from the price of a six-pack of Budweiser compared to the price of a single bottle of some Belgian Abbey ale or whatever. I don't think craft beers had started yet back then (or if they had, they were just getting started).

I never considered the slick possibility that they were saying "We know of no other brewery that makes as much beer as we do, and thus we know of no other brewery that spends as much total money as we do across all of our factories in the world."

Because that wouldn't be impressive at all. That would just be deceptive and pathetic. Obviously anyone reading the can isn't going to interpret that way. They're going to think it means "we don't know of another beer where each can or bottle costs as much to make."

Considering barrels brewed, people employed, worldwide distribution, and market share from a buisiness standpoint, how is Budweiser not impressive?

And since when has marketing NOT teetered on deceptive and pathetic?

And how is your final statement any different than the first?

What do you think of this statement found on every can:
"We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

Exactly what claims are being made? That only Budweiser makes Budweiser; that their real costs are at least as high as other commercial beer makers and that their fermentation processes result in the characteristics of their beers' flavor and mouthfeel. Where is the news here? What is there to argue with? What is there to make you want to crack open a can?

What is there to make you want to crack open a can?

He is my wife's friend's husband, and it's all he buys, and I have to be here all day.

That's the only thing that has ever made me want to crack open a can of Bud.

Many years ago I heard that Michael Jackson (the beer hunter, not the pop singer) was asked what he thought about Budweiser. He said that no beer company in the world spends as much money and as much time as Anheiser Busch does to consistently make a bad beer. This may be an urban legend, but I like it anyway.

It's based strictly on their production volume so it's technically "true". That being said, if you haven't had a chance to brew the 2013 AHA winner's Lite American Lager recipe (Annie Johnson) then you need to get on it. I've less than a half keg left of this stuff and it's delicious, cheap, and appeals to everyone. I'll be brewing this one several more times.

I think the key to the slogan is the "We know of no other brand..." part. Even if another brand does spend more, they can simply choose not to know about it. Ignorance can be quite bliss.

It's still false & misleading advertising. It's not beechwood aged. The little bit of wood in the bottom of the tank is more of a nucleation point for the yeast by their own videos if I remember correctly. And ignorance of the law is no excuse, as they say, so someone should legally hold them to it someday.

So am I. watch the videos & you'll see this giant friggin' tank (Room used in Star Trek movie where they're young noobs) & they put this tiny bit of it shaped like very thin planks along the bottom for the yeast, not "aging for flavor". That's all marketing lies. Since no-one challenges them, they get away with it & the Gov get's it's money. He who has the money makes & breaks the damn rules. I say screw the rules & kill-em all! Drown'em like rats in their own horse wizz!

How is false and misleading? The beer is placed in tanks with beechwood. Is there a standard for beechwood aging beer? I'm being serious here....

I went on a Budweiser tour of the factory about 6 months ago and our tour guide said that it is even misleading and that the beechwood adds no additional flavor to the beer just there to help the yeast along.

It might actually cost a lot to make, when you factor in all of the marketing wonks they pay big $$$ to, like the shmoe who wrote that tag line.

OH; HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE THAT HAS BREWED WITH HERBS LIKE, WORMWOOD, YARROW? I live in florida and don't know if i can find these. CAN'T FIND THESE IN FORUMS. PLEASE RESPOND! THANK YOU. STEVEE.
[email protected]

So if I brew a beer and throw some beechwood chips in during secondary can I then say that they don't have exclusive beechwood aging?

I recall reading an article way back that said something about how their beechwood is sooo expensive and that they bought up the entire Plantation from some place that grows them lol. Still a BS line, but as already mentioned companies by law are allowed under certain conditions to make claims that are completely unfounded and have no backing truth to them. Think about the several "America's favorite" claims or "America's oldest" blah blah blah.

Rev.

Lol, I don't understand the hate towards Bud, Miller-Coors etc.. these companies built an American beer culture from nothing during a popular alcohol temperance movement, eventual prohibition and rationing war economies. The reason their beer tastes like yellow piss is because that's what the AMERICAN consumer wanted in the 1950's-1960's. The big breweries had to change their beer or go out of business. They are not evil multi national conglomerates that are hell bent to ruin beer, they're brewers trying to make money and grow. The same can be said about ANY "craft" beer company in busniess and if you don't think their number one priority is making money, then your mistaken.

Going back to what the OP said, it's advertising. This is how they make their money in an American economy.

Rant over

Lol, I don't understand the hate towards Bud, Miller-Coors etc..

Hmm, I didn't personally take this thread as a hate rant against the big boys, just a comment they made that is in itself ridiculous by all accounts. There are plenty of beers out there that cost far far more to manufacture. That said, I do hate Budweiser, not the company. There are plenty of beers that have been produced under than Anheuser brand that I really loved. Bud itself tastes horrible to me, and that's fine. There are many craft breweries that produce beers I hate. No surprise there. I don't go ranting against them nor do I rant against Budweiser. But, truth of the matter is Bud is so very popular because of its very low cost and tremendous advertising, not because its truly the "King of beers". And with a moniker like that making such a beer is certain to draw a high degree of criticism, can't see what's unusual about that. As for Miller, I actually like some run of the mill Miller beers! I really like Genuine Draft for example. I don't buy it often at all, but every once in a blue I do pickup and drink some 22oz bottles. As for light beer, I hate light beer, but when in a pinch I find out of the big three I like Miller light the most.

Lastly, if you were a professional brewer trying to get your beer on the shelf only to have to fight the big conglomerate of Anheuser Busch who's offering soooo many incentives to stores to create whole isles of AB shelves and advertising I think you'd have a completely different outlook on the company.

Rev.

Maybe hate was the wrong word. Disdain fits better. The big boys are a product of American capitalism through several centuries.

My point is I respect and many ways admire what they have done.

Anyone want to guess when that line was written? Considering that the line in the OP is probably almost 80 years old or older, there is a good chance that it may not have been just a marketing line. At the time of inception it could have been the premium beer by all counts, and there is nothing that requires the to change their label or moto.
Just because it laughable now doesn't mean it was then. They didn't get to what they are now on slick marketing alone--but I am sure that it doesn't hurt either.

I took a tour at Their Houston, TX brewery many years ago and remember a sign breaking down some of the costs. Can't remember exactly, but the cost of ingredients and production was dwarfed by that of advertising and packaging.

the main reason I think ABI can get away with putting this statement on their can is simply because no one who cares about that sort of thing has anything close to the amount of money necessary to take ABI on in court.
a lesser reason, (and I think ABI would use this as their defense if they for some reason ever did have to defend the statement in court), is because there is legal precedent for allowing what's known as 'puffery'. puffery is basically a claim that is so outrageous, and so obviously false, that no reasonable person would ever take it as truth, and thus would never be misled by the (blatantly) false advertising

Hey; where is the best place to buy ingredients. Stevee.
Last edited by lancegroup1; Yesterday at 04:35 PM. Reason: MISS SPELLING

Ironic. :)

Back on topic: AB can do that because it is part of their registered trademark. I believe the language for their "creed" originated in the late 1800's, and they have incorporated it into their packaging ever since.

Back