How old is too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
Hey,

I hadn't brewed in a few years. Started again this weekend. Found three cans of extract.

Down side to using them?

Maybe have excessive twang, but heck, you have them, might as well try right? I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on hops or liquid yeast for the batch, but maybe an ounce or two and some notty, see what you get.

They are not fresh, obviously, but I see no downside to using them to get your hand back in. A few years is a long time in this game as far as I have seen. Read up on here, use them, but don't expect too much. You will most likely still end up with a drinkable beer

Probably will be drinkable, it won't be great though. Probably is a good way to get back into practice, but after that buy some fresh ingredients and have a good go at it :)

It's all a question of how much you value time versus money. I personally worry more about the former, so I would toss them.

Why toss them? If it is going to give me a drinkable beer was it really a waste of time?

I bought fresh stuff for my first batch and figure I will give the old stuff a shot next time unless someone can tell me they have had a bad experience with it.

Thanks for all the input. What a great forum!!!!

Depends on how you define drinkable. I personally wouldn't want to find out a month later that the beer could have been a lot better. But who knows? I don't think anyone can really say how much worse it will be.

I made a batch with a seven year old kit once. Was good but didn't age well. Maybe use half old half fresh. Or use it for starters. Certainly don't simply throw them away.

UPDATE: Well, I used one can of the old LME with 3 lbs of fresh DME. I guess it is "drinkable" but the other two cans of old LME are either going to make starters or be tossed.

I've used ten year old kits, but I turned them into a stout with new steeping grains, hops. Since everything came out of stock and I pitched on a cake, the total cost was less than $5 plus propane. Turned out fairly well.

The biggest problem is extract darkens as it ages.

Using the old LME cans for starters is a great idea. Since taking a batch of beer from zero to the bottle/keg takes several hours, I'd spend the extra $20 and get fresh ingredients - that way you will want to brew again and again. I have used 6 month old extract in the past and been really disappointed, It was 'drinkable', but compared to batches that use fresh ingredients it wasn't in the same league.

+1 on the starters. i have some 3 year old extract in plastic jugs (which would fare far worse than cans) and have been using it for starters with no ill effects. i ferment out, cold crash and decant the supernatant, though....i still don't want 1.5L of unhopped old extract beer in my new brew!

Think that will be my plan.

The beer is getting a bit better every week I leave it in the bottle but not going to use the last 2 cans to brew.

Back