How often do you use yeast from a microbrew bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Ok I've read a lot and watched some nice youtube videos. And I understand how and why you would grow yeast from a microbrew bottle. (sorry forgot what the technical term is... Cloning... Stealing yeast?)

Anyway my question. Is how often do you brewers use this technique? It seems easy enough. And a money saver, if you already drink a few microbrews.

I see people talking about it, but it doesn't seem to be a normal practice.

Thanks!

Harvesting the term is harvest...or Ranching.

The amount of time you use harvested yeast is going to vary from brewer to brewer, and it's really the same as how long reuses any harvested/washed yeast, like from their own fermenter.

I would probably limit it to 2-3 times from a single jar harvest, that I built a starter from. But if you net a huge enough harvest and have two or three jars worth from your initial harvest, then that's a lot.

I tend to use multiple bottles to get as big an initiall cell count as possible, for example, I harvested hoegarden recently by using a dozen bottles. In the interum I sanitized them, left some beer in them, put a new cap on them and kept them in the fridge for a few days until I had enough to pitch. When I had a dozen I re sanitized the bottles, flamed the neck and poured all of them into my starter wort. I believe I ended up with 4 mason jars full.

I just used two of them in my wit, and will wash that yeast and harvest from that as well.

thanks Rev. You also answered a few other questions I had with the reply.

1 more for ya. what's the ratio of harvested yeast from microbrew bottles compared to purchased yeast? So do you use you harvested yeast (from bottle)just once in. while. Or do you usually purchase yeast and harvest that?

Guess I'm trying to figure of I can start mostly use harvested from bottles or if I should stick to purchsed yeast and harvest that?

Thanks again

(wow I'm having trouble getting my questions out this morning I had to reword that 10 times and I think I still didn't word it Right.haha)

what's the ratio of harvested yeast from microbrew bottles compared to purchased yeast? So do you use you harvested yeast (from bottle)just once in. while. Or do you usually purchase yeast and harvest that?
I think you can do whatever suits your needs/desires. I tend to buy yeast, wash it and reuse it 4-5 times (I usually get two mason jars per wash, so I get 8-10 uses from one activator/vial). But, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just use yeast you've harvested from commercial bottles, if you find some strains that you really like and that work well for your beers.

When I started homebrewing (back in the 1970's) I cultured yeast from commercial brews almost all the time. Nowadays, I never do it.
There are several reasons for this change.

1. Back in the 1970's, dry yeast sucked. Nowadays, it is good.
2. When I started, I needed to build up my bottle collection. Nowadays, I have enough bottles.
3. The yeast I cultured suited the types of beer I brewed. I wouldn't like to brew an English Bitter with SNPA yeast.
4. When I started, dry yeast was all that was available from the HBS. Nowadays, you can get good liquid yeasts, such as White Labs, and Wyeast.

-a.

Back