How often do pressure barrels vent excess pressure and hiss? (& can they vent from the centre?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan K

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is one of those beginner questions that people dread answering.

I've just got back into basic brewing and my last two Beer kits (evil dog and JIPA) have both been quite 'hissy' in second fermentation. Gas is venting from the top of the cap, not the valve around the side. Different caps and barrels for each brew.

I just wondered if it's normal for pressure to release from the top/centre section, and not the valve around the side? Or is it a fault?

I was using standard caps with no co2 inlet before and there was always a bit of a hiss in the first few days of secondary, but never this much. I do prime quite heavily (90g this time).

I've realised you folks across the pond might not use what we call pressure barrels. That, or you would probably call them a plastic keg? Something like this: Home Brew Pressure Barrel - 25 litres: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

No airlock as it's in secondary fermentation, but the valve looks like this:
IMG_20210322_105833.jpg

It's still releasing a fair bit of pressure but I'm thinking perhaps I over-primed it a bit. It's just a bit alarming to hear all this precious co2 hissing away!
(Eventually I'll move to Corneys and proper Kegs but I have 3 of these sitting around for now).

Back