How much yeast to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
How do you know how much yeast to pitch? I mean is the only way to tell by knowing your starting gravity? I am making a starter, and im curious as to how much is too much. I will be using a stirplate to build the starter, and do not want fermentation to end too quickly. I have no idea what my starting gravity will be. I purchased a homebrew kit, it it came with general instructions with dry yeast. I will be making a starter with a liquid heffe yeast however to achieve a more authentic beer.

what kind of yeast are you using? is it a 5 gal batch of beer? you should use all of it if it came in a vial our pouch like White Labs or Wyeast.

Well I have not gotten it yet, but will be using liquid yeast. I know i will add all of that to a starter, and then let that mature a day or so, and then pitch. I just want to know what the chances of building up too much yeast with starter nutrients and using a stirplate ? and yes it will be a 5gal batch

No chance. Pitch all of it! You're making the start so you you can get as many yeast cells as possible.

Back