How Much Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
Ive been not getting the right volume when going to fermenter. Heres the info. 20 pounds of grain for a 10 gallon batch. Using brewpal app on ios. Using 1.33 qt per pound. Calls for 6.6 gal strike and 7.5 gal sparge. My brew day today, I upped the strike to 8 and sparge to 10. I know its now a 1.4 qt per pound sparge. Hoping to get 10 gallons into the fermenter using a total of 18 rather than 14. Any advise? I was getting about 8 total into fermenter prior.

Well that was not smart, lol. My keggle was getting full so I stopped sparge when I lost sight of the last ring inside the keggle. Not sure how much that is? I will sparge the rest and measure so i know how much more not to put in, lol. Hoping that last ring on the keggle is like 12 or so.

How long do you boil for? I know you ran 14 gallons through but how much runoff did you actually collect?

Boiled for an hour. Just switched to outside propane so I had a fierce boil going. Switched to keggle and propane at the same time, i guess I didnt realize how much you lose to evaporation. The other thing is no sight glass so I cant tell anything untill i fill the fermenter. More upgrades coming i suppose.

With the 18 gal total experiment today i left out tgae last 1.5 gallons at the end of the sparge. So 16.5 total. Im hopeful.

Wow, i was a little under 10 gallons. Guess ill stick with 17 total next time.

Back