how much water needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I have more grains than the recipe is asking for so I want to adjust water volume so I have more in my batch size. How do I calculate that?

It would probably be easiest to plug the recipe into some software and let it tell you what you need. Brewersfriend and beersmith can do this.

What kind of sparging are you doing? Fly or batch or no sparge? BIAB?

See attached for an example water requirement calculation. You could use that to guide your manual calculation if you know your system well enough.

temp.png

It would probably be easiest to plug the recipe into some software and let it tell you what you need. Brewersfriend and beersmith can do this.

What kind of sparging are you doing? Fly or batch or no sparge? BIAB?

See attached for an example water requirement calculation. You could use that to guide your manual calculation if you know your system well enough.

I use beersmith but have got the time to dig deep into it. I will try this thx

I use beersmith but have got the time to dig deep into it. I will try this thx

Yep, no problem. I'm sure you already realize this but just to be on the safe side you will have to recalculate each one of those figures to match your own recipe/equipment.

Amen. More people seem to make mistakes by blinding following BeerSmith.

Yeah, I downloaded beer smith, added ingredients, watched the beer color changed, numbers go up and down, but had no clue why. Did a quick Google search found that link and did one beer by hand to figure out that software was needed to modify quickly, created my own excel spreadsheet using the formulas, learned a great deal about brewing beer. It's worth the journey.

I 100% agree with the other posters.. All of this ability to scale or really create and dial in your own recipes comes with knowing what your brewing gear has the ability to produce results wise and how it aligns accuracy-wise with any recipe building tool you may use.

Every tool(Beersmith, etc.) uses generic numbers to start you off with. Your mileage with your specific brewing equipment WILL vary..not may, but WILL.

Everyone's equipment behaves differently and even 100% duplicated systems behave differently in different environments and geos. Your tool is only as good as the numbers you can feed it related to your gears results.

Too many folks just blindly go with the tools recommendations and never go back to see how accurate they were hitting their numbers to adjust the tools to fit their equipment.

I cannot stress enough that you have to know your own equipment to be able to dial in any brewing tool for scaling a batch properly or your results will be hit or miss.

As for the OP's question, without knowing your equipment, any recommendation from me or anyone else here is just a guess and could end up being a good one or a bad one.

Learn your equipment and dial in your recipe tools around that information and scaling up or down (batch or ingredient-wise) will never be a problem again to get the desired result.

Latest posts

Back