How much toasted oak chips should i add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatman11

Reaction score
Hello all, I have brewed about 20 beers now and all have turned out awesome. I want to add some toasted oak to one of my brews. How much should I add? I love the taste of Guinnes and am trying to copy it as it is so delicious. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

2oz of oak chips would be plenty. But if you don't want liquor flavor,you could nuk'em in a small amount of water for 5-6 minutes on high to sanitize'em a bit. Cover & cool before adding to secondary,pouring the liquid through a hop sock with the chips. tie off the sock & drop it in. Then rack the beer onto them with a racking tube. Give'em a week,the take a small shotglass sample to see if it's to your liking.

You're welcome. I'm brewing a pm traditional stout & have 2oz white oak chips soaking in about 1/3C Jim Beam in an airtight container in the fridge during primary. From colonial times till prohibition,porters & stouts aged in used bourbon barrels for a time were called Whiskely.

I am doing a cream stout next weekend. Sounds like adding some chips would be a good idea there too. I bought 8 ozw. of them on sale and wasnt sure how to use them. Looks like the dark beers are the ticket. I just cracked into my first chocolate pumpkin spiced porter that turned out great and thought that if would have added some oak it would be one of the best beers i have ever drank. Thanks again

I was very curious reading the thread. I understand you are planning of making a guiness, whats ur recipe?

Im not tryin to make a true Guiness but a beer that is really rich and has diferent layers of flavors. I was using Guiness as a refrence for the smoke and the complex flavors. I am a chef so i am starting to try to come up with some beers that have layers just like good food does. You know like when you eat a steak for example, at first you taste the beef. With every chew i want something new to come out, like the spices and then the garlic, then the smoke from the grill, and mabie at last, a little of the rememberanceof the last thing i might have cooked on that grill. It may sound corny, but thats what im trying to do. I just never used wood chips in my beers before

It may sound corny, but thats what im trying to do. I just never used wood chips in my beers before

That's not corny at all. A complex, developing flavor is certainly worth striving for. I love the journey through the subtle nuances certain components of every recipe bring to the brew. Are you familiar with Dingeman's Special B malt? It is killer in... anything- definitely stout appropriate. And the wood chips will certainly add complexity.... Is Guinness really oaked? I can't really taste it so I have no idea how much you would want to use.

Back