How much to dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I got 2oz of whole leaf Amarillo hops at 8.0% alpha.

I want to use them to dry hop, but I don't know how much to use.

I plan on using them in the secondary. And as far as my hop profile, I use pellet Amarillo for bittering and taste/armoa. My estimated IBUs will be around 42.

The beer style is an IPA so I do want want the flavor very pronounced from the dry hops. But not enough that its overbearing.

I need a suggestion on how much to use... and possibly how long.

You could use all 2 oz if you want, and it will impart mostly aroma, and very little flavor. It just depends how "hoppy" you want the aroma to be. I've made ambers, and pales, and have dry hopped with up to 2 oz with good success. I've noticed some "grassy" flavors and aromas when a lot more than that was used.

I would give one ounce a week and then decide on the second ounce. More time to clear isn't a problem. An all Amarillo IPA sounds tasty.

I just finished off a keg of our house pale ale and we always dry hop it with 1 oz. of cascade or amarillo for 1 week in the secondary. Much longer than 10 days and you will definately get the grassy taste. Try out an ounce then scale up if need be. You will love the results!!!

Back