How much time do I have??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I mixed up my first soda "ginger beer" and bottled it a little over 24 hours ago. I've read mosts the posts on here....most of the bottles are pretty firm already which makes me a little nervous.

My question is when I put them in the fridge, as I cant drink 2 gallons worth that quickly....how long will they stay for. I've heard the yeast will go dormant and I've also heard it will continue to carbonate slowly. Are we talking days, weeks, months. I really dont want the inside of our fridge sprayed with syrup. I'm already nervous about leaving the bottles out one more night.

I mixed up my first soda "ginger beer" and bottled it a little over 24 hours ago. I've read mosts the posts on here....most of the bottles are pretty firm already which makes me a little nervous.

My question is when I put them in the fridge, as I cant drink 2 gallons worth that quickly....how long will they stay for. I've heard the yeast will go dormant and I've also heard it will continue to carbonate slowly. Are we talking days, weeks, months. I really dont want the inside of our fridge sprayed with syrup. I'm already nervous about leaving the bottles out one more night.

I regularly make rootbeer in two liter bottles and have some take up to three full days to carb well.. Just give it another day or so.. should carb up nicely.. then refrigerate..:) By the way, I have never had a soda explode the fridge no matter how long it's been there unopened (6 weeks in some cases)

If you think the bottle is getting too hard then just open it a crack, let some pressure off then pop it back in the fridge. If you find it's not gassy enough when you go to drink it, take it out of the fridge for 24 hours to let the yeast reactivate then back in the fridge.

If you think the bottle is getting too hard then just open it a crack, let some pressure off then pop it back in the fridge. If you find it's not gassy enough when you go to drink it, take it out of the fridge for 24 hours to let the yeast reactivate then back in the fridge.
Spot on. I find that the bottles will continue to harden a little bit in the fridge, but extremely slowly. I've left a bottle in there for 3 months and had it not go pop, but if it makes you nervous, just vent it a little bit.

I actually tried my first one tonight after I let it sit in the fridge for 5-6 hours. The bottles dont feel quite as firm now that they are cold. They are carbonated but not as much as I'd like. I will take a couple out for another day and see what happens. That makes perfect sense about cracking them open to let some pressure out. I guess I thought it was a no no to open them but it makes sense. I'll remember that little trick for the future. Sounds like I wont worry about leaving them in the fridge for an extended period of time.

I lost a bottle of soda at the back of the fridge once. Found it a month and a half later. Oh man, that was tasty stuff, halfway through the bottle, I found it had a little extra kick that soda doesn't usually have. Moral of the story, I've never had a bottle go pop, but then I use glass. So if it ever went pop, I'd really have a mess.

I gave a bottle(22 oz. glass) to one of my friends. Told him to refridgerate it. He put it in the cupboard below the counter with some bottles of comercial beer. It blew up and took the necks off of two of the bottles of beer when i went. I guess it got a little messy too.

Latest posts

Back