How much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshhoarse

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of root beer from extract and force caring in a keg. My question is using a Rainbow Flavors "Homebrew" extract bottle for 4 gallons, how much table sugar should I add?

I'm making my first batch of root beer from extract and force caring in a keg. My question is using a Rainbow Flavors "Homebrew" extract bottle for 4 gallons, how much table sugar should I add?

I don't make soda anymore, but I'd always add less since we aren't a family that liked really sweet things.

"To taste" is the best answer, I guess. Some people like brown sugar instead of table sugar (or a mix of both) in rootbeer soda.

Keep in mind if you are force carbing the co2 will take away some of the sweetness. I make my Root beer by making it uncarbed in a brew pot. I make it slightly sweeter than I want the end product, since the co2 will off set some of it.

My basic starting point is about 1 cup per gallon, I then taste the uncarbed soda and go from there. My guess is 4-5 cups.

2 cups (about 1 lb) per gallon is my general rule of thumb. I find that matches up the best for sweetness and on a g/serving basis with most commercial soft drinks. If you don't want it as sweet/syrupy as kool-aid (same level, instructions are 1 cup to make 2 quarts) or a commercial soda, use less.
Did the Rainbow Extract not come with instructions?

Back