How much Starsans to ruin a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
I finally did a major Starsans screwup. I always add a bit of Starsans to my carboy after cleaning it so it is ready to go for the next batch. I dump it right before racking the next batch. I guess it was only a matter of time, but today I took the cap off the carboy, washed the cap then opened the valve on my brew pot and let her flow. After transferring about 3 gallons I was like, "oh snap". Anyway there was about 1/2 gallon normal dilution concentration Starsans in the carboy and the batch size was 6 gallons so final total volume 6.5 gallon. What is the chance that it will come out okay? Whats the most anyone has ever accidentally added and had the beer come out okay?

I think that it will just be a lower gravity. From what i understand, starsan is kind of a yeast nutrient? Someone with more knowledge will come in for you.

I, too, have read that diluted star-san will serve as yeast nutrient.

I'm sorry, but the limit of Starsan in a 6.5gallon batch is 62oz. Beyond that, you're risking Alzheimers and or Lupus.

LOL, that got snuck in while I was slowly typing my response. good stuff.

I forgot to pull the hose on my blow off bucket when I cold crashed. Ended up with almost .5 gallon of starsan in a 5 gallon batch. I'm still kicking.

I'd be super pissed if i diluted my beer with a half gallon of water and would go on a multi-state rampage if it was starsan!

Shaking and drooling is normal, right? I drink starsan to sterilize my liver after drinking a keg of beer. I have gone yellow and moist since I started. At least I'm clean righttttttttttttttttt..................

if you're ok with growing hairy armpits and a need to scratch your... acorns.. you'll be ok with any changes. otherwise, starsan does act as a yeast nutrient, and will just add to the abv

Everyone talks about starsan like it's koolaide, but the stuff doesn't smell good and leaves a thick film after it's been sitting around a week or so. I try to keep starsan water out of my beer, but that's just me. When I have had suckback or whatnot I don't stress about it, but I'm not happy about it either.

Everyone talks about starsan like it's koolaide, but the stuff doesn't smell good and leaves a thick film after it's been sitting around a week or so. I try to keep starsan water out of my beer, but that's just me. When I have had suckback or whatnot I don't stress about it, but I'm not happy about it either.

Doesn't smell good and leaves a thick film..but has absolutely NO effect I can see in finished product. HellYeast leaves some sccary stuff on top of beer and smells horrible at times (rhino farts) yet we accept that as part of brewing. I figure if the beer comes out okay I don't give a crap about anything else.

If you get Iodophor in your beer, it will help prevent goiters.

goiter.jpg

I forgot to pull the hose on my blow off bucket when I cold crashed. Ended up with almost .5 gallon of starsan in a 5 gallon batch. I'm still kicking.

I'm not really worried about toxicity but was there any noticeable off flavor?

It will certainly contribute to lowering the pH of the beer. You'll also be ingesting more dodecyl benzene sulfonic acid (an anionic detergent) than most people would voluntarily.

But hey, RDWHAHB, right?

Latest posts

Back