1gal starsan in my batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry125069

Reaction score
So i f'ed up and dumped my 1gal mixed starsan solution (diluted) into my final wort to bring my volume up from 3gal -> 5.5gal after boiling. Haven't pitched the yeast yet.... should i just toss the batch? super sad rn

<ugh> that sucks!
Brewers here have reported Starsan suck back (through a krausen blow-off tube) in the range from mere cups to several quarts. Many of those have drank it when in the lower suckback volumes, and couldn't tell or found it somewhat diluted. But your mishap is in that higher range....

There's 6 ml of Starsan concentrate in a gallon of standard strength working solution. 50% of those 6 ml is Phosphoric Acid, a component found in soft drinks, and 15% of dodecylbenzenesulphonic acid, basically a detergent/surfactant (like soap). The rest is water.

There will be a noticeable dilution of your beer, 20%, but may still be drinkable. Maybe it's OK to drink a pint of your Starsan beer a day, but do not serve it to others, unless they knew about it and are 300% fine with it.

Alternatively, chuck it, hard lesson learned.

So i f'ed up and dumped my 1gal mixed starsan solution (diluted) into my final wort to bring my volume up from 3gal -> 5.5gal after boiling. Haven't pitched the yeast yet.... should i just toss the batch? super sad rn

I'm confused by your math *(not that it matters in this case) but 3 gal to 5.5 gal is 2.5 gallons added. Was 1.5 of that water and 1 the StarSan solution?

*It doesn't matter to me as I wouldn't drink it with that much anyways.

I wouldn't chance it. Lesson learned. We've ALL done something very stupid during brew day. Basically, every time I have a screw-up free brew day, it feels kind of weird. I always ask, "What went wrong today?", and if nothing did, I feel like I missed something lol.

I kegged beer one day and ended up with "extra" for some reason.
The beer had a metallic taste as I recall, don't remember how much I drank or what I did with the rest, its been at least 8 or 9 years ago, I had forgotten to dump the starsan out of the keg.

Back