How much starsan have you included in successful batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Curious how much starsan you have included in a successful batch. 3qts in 5gal is my new record!

Curious how much starsan you have included in a successful batch. 3qts in 5gal is my new record!

Do you mean to tell me 15% of the beer was actually Star-san, or you used 3 quarts in sanitizing equipment to make said 5 gallons? If the former, by biggest questions are what did you name the beer, and did it have a clean taste.

The most Starsan I ever got into a beer is what coats the bottle or keg when I add the beer. It is carelessness that cause an "I got a gallon of Starsan in my beer, is it ruined?" thread. I pay attention to what I am doing when I brew!

I'd love to say I pay attention when I brew because I do, trying to chase repeatability. But I have forgotten to empty 1/2-1qt of StarSan from a keg prior to kegging a brew. It happens.

In I probably had a gallon in a batch.

I'm fairly new to begin with, but just added a brewjacket to my conical and with it came a permanent blow off tube (no airlock as it covers that hole). I forgot to remove this as I was kegging and wondered about 1/3 way through why the level in the conical wasn't dropping. (at this point I was just using my 5 gallon bucket of starsan for the blowoff)

At that point I decided to continue anyways and try it. It was drinkable.

Sufficient to say I won't be making that mistake again, already changed my container for blow off.

Do you mean to tell me 15% of the beer was actually Star-san, or you used 3 quarts in sanitizing equipment to make said 5 gallons? If the former, by biggest questions are what did you name the beer, and did it have a clean taste.

3qts of diluted starsan to 5gal of beer and the beer tastes great! I should mention it is a kettle sour...

Does one have to worry about consuming too much diluted starsan? In particular, any long term side effects?

Does one have to worry about consuming too much diluted starsan? In particular, any long term side effects?

I heard an interview with the creator of Starsan claims that he drank Starsan solution in front of people just to prove that it's safe to consume. He didn't mention what dilution he did this at but it should put homebrewers concerns to ease.

I heard an interview with the creator of Starsan claims that he drank Starsan solution in front of people just to prove that it's safe to consume. He didn't mention what dilution he did this at but it should put homebrewers concerns to ease.

This doesn't prove a whole lot - at most only that it won't make you sick immediately. I'm more interested in long term effects. I doubt there has been a study on how small dosages, e.g., the amount in homebrew, affects a person over, say, 30 years.

This doesn't prove a whole lot - at most only that it won't make you sick immediately. I'm more interested in long term effects. I doubt there has been a study on how small dosages, e.g., the amount in homebrew, affects a person over, say, 30 years.

I doubt there has ever been a vigorous study on the long-term exposure of Starsan but I do know that it has been in use for 23 years in beer, dairy, and the food industry. I've already accepted the health risks associated with alcohol but if you find anything conclusive about Starsan please let me know.

I really like the phosphoric peach idea. It's the same stuff they put in coke. I've never put a significant amount of starsan in a beer, but I did spill half a bag of Doritos in a boil once.

Latest posts

Back