How much more grain when batch sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
I know that if you choose to batch sparge in lieu of fly sparging, you generally need to increase your grains a bit to compensate. On a % basis, how much do you need to increase the grains when batch sparging? 5%, 10%??

I've heard 5%. But I don't do it personally.

FWIW, I always batch sparge, I've never adjusted upward when using someone else's recipe, and I often get 3%-5% better efficiency than recipe estimates.

One of the oldest arguments. Which gets better efficiency? You'll never get a straight answer. I batch sparge, and I'm happy with my efficiency (78%). You'll just need to keep good notes and eventually you'll know your system down pat.

Each system seems so different based on all the factors that are uncontrollable by the equipment itself. A lot depends on the user. The only way to know for sure is to just start brewing, take good notes and adjust your recipes as needed based on how you hit your numbers.

Hammy71 said:
One of the oldest arguments. Which gets better efficiency? You'll never get a straight answer. I batch sparge, and I'm happy with my efficiency (78%). You'll just need to keep good notes and eventually you'll know your system down pat.
^^This^^

Hammy71 said:

I can give a straight answer.....

If done correctly, fly sparge will always provide for a better efficiency. If done correctly!

Batch sparging is less time consuming, is less equipment/costs and a little more elbow grease for about 5%~10% efficiency decrease.

In the moRE elaborate HERMS/RIMS systems that I have seen, fly sparging is just part of the process. It becomes very hands off when you brew larger quantities and perhaps someday, God willing, I can reach this plateau.

For now, batch sparging is hands on and I am all about getting into my brewday.
Stirring the mash just makes me feel at peace.

I don't really know what changes percentage-wise I am doing. I take a recipe and put the ingredients into Beersmith. I then adjust the amounts to suit my gear. I usually end up making some changes depending on my ingredient inventory or to try something of interest to me.

Have you been doing all grain yet?

If you want to, you can calculate most variables before you touch your equipment and probably get within 1-2% accuracy for everything - volume, gravity, etc. But, you don't need to. When I did my first batches I just got a recipe and went with it. If you are a meticulous person, that might drive you crazy. I ended up with less than 4 gallons of beer, and it was 6.3% ABV when it was supposed to be 5.5 maybe, a few other things were not accurate. But the beer was great and I learned a lot. After a few batches, I now take gravity readings and anticipate my boil-off so I know what I'm going to end up with, etc.

Again, if you are very meticulous, you could do all that before and probably get the numbers right. But if you don't have the physical process down, you might not get there, no matter how good you've calculated things.

Now that I know how much water I need and how much grain to use, I can predict a lot. But you can't really know that stuff unless you do a batch. I think the best way to learn is to do a batch and measure everything. Then you will be able to apply prediction calculations, basically.

Each system seems so different based on all the factors that are uncontrollable by the equipment itself. A lot depends on the user. The only way to know for sure is to just start brewing, take good notes and adjust your recipes as needed based on how you hit your numbers.

Totally agree. Looking over my last 10 batches of each I've gotten 77-79% efficiency batch sparging and 77-80% fly sparging, so the two are essentially equivalent in my hands. If I were you I'd plan your first recipe for about 75% efficiency, then like others said keep good measurements and notes and adjust from there. If you follow consistent processes you should be able to dial it in within a few batches.

So, i've getting ready to start doing AG myself and I have a small question. How does one calculate this mysterious efficiency?

Need to know how to do this when I get started I guess.

Do you have Palmer's book, How to Brew? It is on the web somewhere if you don't have a hard copy. He has a pretty good procedure.

You measure the gravity of the wort after mashing, compare it to the sugar you theoretically could have extracted and divide them to get a ratio you convert into a percentge. Different malts have different potential yields and Palmer's book is the best place I know of to get the numbers you need.

On a brew day, from your process, you need to know the lbs of grain in your mash, volume of water you add to your mash and the volume of wort you extract, plus get a gravity reading before boiling, to calculate your efficiency.

Back