How much is too much to steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoneyismyfriend

Reaction score
I like to do an extract brew from time to time, for the time savings. I have a recipe that I converted to extract, but for 10 gallons it leaves me with 6 lbs of vienna and 2 lbs of caramunich. Wondering if this is too much to steep. The method I use; heat water to 160 at a ratio of less than a gallon per pound and let steep for 30 minutes (Jamil). The other I method I use is a stove top partial mash; heat to 165 add grain bag at a ratio of 1.5 qts per pound, let sit 30 minutes, reheat to 155 and sit another 30 minutes, heat 3 gallons to 165 and steep/rinse for 10 minutes (also Jamil). Again, is this too much grain for these methods?

I agree with NCSU Brewer, you could just do a BIAB. I think Vienna would be better utilized in a mash rather than a steep anyway.

I agree with NCSU Brewer, you could just do a BIAB. I think Vienna would be better utilized in a mash rather than a steep anyway.

But that is a mash, from what is described.

That will work. You can mash however much grain you have room for. If you have room to mash 8 pounds of grain in a bag in your pot, then doing that is fine.

I'd make sure that the grain is very loose in the bag (using more bags if needed to keep the grain very loose), and hold it at 150-155 for an hour. You can even stick the pot in a turned off (but warmed) oven if you need to hold the heat better. Turning the burner off and on isn't a great idea because you can easily exceed 160 if you do that. Just heat the water to 165 or so, and then add the grains, stir well, and cover and insulate the pot or stick it in the oven. Leave it for 60 minutes. That's it.

Not necessarily. If your water-to-grain ratio is off, you won't get conversion (i.e. no mash).

True but you'd have to be pretty far off. I've seen the full volume mash BIAB'ers go up to 4 qt/lb with no conversion issues. At any rate, the OP is using 1.5 qt per lb so it's all good.

Dumb question: how could there be no conversion if you use too much water?

Good question and I don't have the answer , but it probably is all about enzymes and getting them to work, Maybe PH related also. We need some help from a senior brewer.!

Dumb question: how could there be no conversion if you use too much water?

It'd have to be a lot of water to be too much for conversion. You can impair conversion by a very thin mash if the enzymes are very diluted, or if the mash pH is very very far off but it would be unlikely. It would be more likely to have off flavors from a too-high mash pH than to have conversion issues.

Back