How much in and how much out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think that fly sparging vs. batch sparging will have much impact on your efficiency, you may be surprised. I recently did an interview for a Beersmith podcast with John Palmer and Gordon Strong. All 3 of us were in agreement that there's virtually no efficiency difference between fly and batch sparging. As a data point, on the mash I completed about 20 min. ago, I got 87% efficiency with a batch sparge. Sparge any way that you like, but make sure you evaluate the process so you can know what's really going on.

Thats interesting... you thats the nicest way i've been told.... "your doing it wrong".. :)

Their is another reason i've decided to go to a manifold as my SSBraid setup I was affraid I would break it at Mash-in. I have to brew in the next few days... so hopefully between the info on this thread (and others i've read) will help me be more efficient. I have also added two lbs. to my grain bill just in case.

I think this would be the SG you take to check efficiency, but your OG reading should be after the boil which is the Gravity reading you're going to be using to calculate ABV%

Thats right SG.

Thats interesting... you thats the nicest way i've been told.... "your doing it wrong".. :)

Their is another reason i've decided to go to a manifold as my SSBraid setup I was affraid I would break it at Mash-in. I have to brew in the next few days... so hopefully between the info on this thread (and others i've read) will help me be more efficient. I have also added two lbs. to my grain bill just in case.

Just so you know, I've used the same cooler and braid for 411 batches now. The braid is sturdier than you think.

okay so i decided to go cpvc manifold... my all grain gear is based on 5 galon batches... so my manifold is made up of mostly elbows and one "T"... my question is can I poke holes or slits not only in the cpvc pipe i plan on using but also in the fittings?.. check the image..

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xGeLskO9NHxoVBEVyowmzcMc8HhT5YLYFVXX5YAaNBs?feat=directlink

I really rather fly sparge and my braided setup obviously was giving me poor efficiency and was more appropriate for the batch sparging mention in this thread... As far as fly sparging this is what i hope will get my OG where it should be.

Yes you can do holes (3/32") or slits in the manifold elbows and joints, the number of holes or slits is up to you and how fast you want to drain. I made a 1/2" copper manifold in the shape of a capital "G" for my round MLT and it is mostly 45s & 90s, drilled about a hundered holes and get 80+ efficiency. Channeling while you drain the MLT is the thing to avoid,thus dropping your efficiency. I like batch sparging , just seems quicker and easier. Hope it all works out,Cheers:):D

yeah.. i think i'm going to batch sparge this time... using the manifold to make sure i dont have to deal with a stuck sparge.. the Braided line worked really well and it was consistent in being exactly 1.010 under the expected SG... so i'm thinking a slower fly sparge... i have since upgraded to ball valves for better flow control.
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like your main problem is not adjusting recipes to the efficiency of your system. You have to do that no matter how you choose to sparge.

Back