How much hops do you use for 5 gallon NE IPA recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
For my last batch I used:

0.25 oz Warrior Pellet 16 Boil 60 min 12.45
2 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 212 °F 30 min 23.83
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Whirlpool at 212 °F 30 min 20.97
1 oz Citra Leaf/Whole 11 Whirlpool at 175 °F 0 min
1 oz Mosaic Leaf/Whole 12.5 Whirlpool at 175 °F 0 min
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Mosaic Leaf/Whole 12.5 Dry Hop 7 days
2 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 3 days
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 3 days

Which was great but that is 12 ounces of pretty expensive hops. I was wondering if I could cut that and still achieve good results? Curious what everyone else was doing.

10oz, but I am able to replace half of that with mosaic cryo so 7.5oz

tons of flavor, would not consider adding more.

A pound of hops for 5 gallons?! Something like that I would believe. It depends on your process and how much you are willing to invest.

But 10 oz for late additons and whirlpool and another 10 oz for dry hopping... I think no one will say that isn't enought, right? :yes:

I will be soon brewing a 4.5% ABV / 35 IBUs session New England sorts of beer, with 17 oz hops: Motueka, Idaho 7, El Dorado and Enigma. And at times, I think it is not enough. But then I re-think, and actually think it will be too much! The whole NEIPA stuff is really stressing, especially when you could easily lose a very expensive batch of beer, due to a mishap, that leads to oxidation.

You need to use all the hops.
All of them.

Get down on your knees searching for any lost pellets among the dust and crevices of the room, because, you tell yourself, this is going to be your last big hit, your last hit, and so it needs to be a good one, from now on you'll just stick to light ales, and you'll be a good member of society, but right now you just need to use all the hops.

I think 12 oz is a good number. It kind of depends on your process as well. Lately I have not added any hops during the boil, just getting my IBU's at FO. I usually do 5-6 oz for the dry hop. I like to do these beers low ABV.

I get away with anywhere between 10-14 oz.

I was really happy with about 7oz in a 3 gal batch so I would say 12-15oz in five gallons would be a good spot. My NEIPA is one of my favorite beers Ive made, but also one of the most expensive.

This was a neipa I did, I enjoyed it a lot, did fairly good at a competition. Ignore the yeast I didn’t use that yeast strain.

Attachments

• IMG_1520335294.296304.jpg
    IMG_1520335294.296304.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 289

Latest posts

Back