How much headspace neccesary in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So they want $15+ for a fermenting bucket and lid at the local natural food store.

I followed the advice I saw on here and called the bakery in town and scored what I thought were 4 free food grade six gallon buckets with lids. Well they are not 6 gallons they are the normal 5 gallon height kind but still food grade.

Can I still use them? How much head room do I need?

I would allow at least an extra half gallon of room for most beers. It really depends on the yeast and what sort of krausen they put off.

Over here this weekend, even a gallon headspace wasn't enough (Nottingham yeast, normal brew with just too much water added somehow), clogging even with the airlock removed. I'd play it safe, even if you're a little short volumewise.

It appears headroom is not as important in Ed's Apfelwein and it's not as picky even just making a batch with 4.5 gallons of juice. So I will just use them for Apfelwein and either buy some more 6 gallon ones for beer of try to find some 6 gal ones at the bakeries in town.

Just split your batches into about 2.5 gallons per fermenter. You can play with things like using different dry hops, or fruits on a wheat beer, or different yeasts.

Those buckets could work just fine.

Back