How much does bottling sugar raise gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.5oz x 1/16 x 46(for dextrose) /5 = 2.58 points ~=1.0025 which is at the rule of thumb that bottling takes 3 points to carbonate for most beer.

This link might be useful to book mark. http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Ahh, thank you for the link, that is exactly what I was looking for!

So lets say I have a beer that is OG 1.060 FG 1.015 after adding bottling sugar

To caculate ABV would I add 3 to the OG and subtract 3 from the FG? So the above adjusted would be 1.063 to 1.012 for ABV calculation?

My thinking is without the sugar it would be 1.060 to 1.012, but then I added 0.03 of sugar in so I increase OG to make up for it in my measurement.

If I am right, it looks like it adds almost 0.8% alcohol so it makes a bit of a difference :tank:

A .8% ABV increase means that the gravity difference would be 0.0061 (0.0061 * 131 = .8). To raise the gravity of five gallons .0061, you would need .81 lbs, or 2.5 cups of sugar to achieve a .8% gain.

I suck at math, so let me know if I'm wrong.

A .8% ABV increase means that the gravity difference would be 0.0061 (0.0061 * 131 = .8). To raise the gravity of five gallons .0061, you would need .81 lbs, or 2.5 cups of sugar to achieve a .8% gain.

I suck at math, so let me know if I'm wrong.

Yes that is right, just right, because I measured the FG after adding the sugar. So I need to account for that, and then also account for the sugar fermenting so it comes out to 0.006

Back