How much does a full corny keg weigh do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I'm getting fixed on Tuesday, and I'm not supposed to lift anything over a certain amount for about a week, but I was hoping to keg some beers during that period. I'm sure it can wait if I have to, but just in case, how much does a full corny keg weigh?

a coworker decided (while still under the pain meds) that he didn't need to return home after his early morning snip-n-go, and could instead return to his cube and work the last half of the day instead of taking leave

pain meds work off around 2:30P while he was on a phone meeting. discovered it when he attempted to get up for a bio break when the meeting had ended. poor guy was essentially stuck at his desk until late that night, long after most of us had gone home. he wouldn't take assistance and waited us out so he could 'walk' himself to his car without witnesses. didn't see him again for three days

5 gallons of water weighs 41.7 pounds.

If you know the gravity of your beer you can do the math from here to get more precise if you really want. OG of 1.1 is 10% more dense than water. FG of 1.015 is 1.5% more dense.

So for finished beer 42ish pounds of beer and up to 46 if you just started fermenting.

I just weighted an empty corny, but don't have a great scale for anything above a few oz. 7ish pounds is about right.

fwiw, most of my kegs are Super Champion VI models and weigh 8.85 pounds, but I have other kegs as light as 8.31 pounds and as heavy as 10.46 pounds.
For a target fill weight I add the empty keg weight to [fg*8.345*5 gallons] to get the gross weight (I set the keg on my digital scale). If one wants to CO2-push transfer to a purged keg without overfilling, weight is about all one has to work with...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to get everything set up ahead of time, and keg condition that way I can just transfer the beer and leave the keys there till they're ready.

That's pretty much what I'm going to do, I just want to get these kegs filled. I got two that blew this week, and two more that are almost empty. Can't let the pipeline stay empty any longer than necessary. I think I can make this work.

My AEB Ball lock keg are 9 pounds. Add 42.5 pounds for the beer so 51.5 pounds is the weight of mine. Some other kegs should be similar in weight, but 50 lbs is probably what you need to count on give or take a couple of pounds.

My AEB Ball lock keg are 9 pounds. Add 42.5 pounds for the beer so 51.5 pounds is the weight of mine. Some other kegs should be similar in weight, but 50 lbs is probably what you need to count on give or take a couple of pounds.
So, is that considered heavy lifting?

I wouldn’t have lifted 50 pounds after mine. Things were swollen enough just sitting on the couch. I’d say that Hb can wait a couple days to avoid complications in that area....

I’ll second just taking it easy. Lifting kegs can wait. A couple days invested in rest is well worth it.

Alright, I'll try to just chill. I'm not that great at taking it easy, but I'll try my best.

I hear you, the thought of a down weekend is what made me wait so long. When I did mine I tried to watch some net flix shows but just couldn’t sit it bed. I passed time doing some design work on the computer. Maybe it’s time to read some new brewing books? The water/malt/yeast books are interesting.

I must have had a really good doctor. He told me it would be nothing & I could go back to work day of. The only real limitations I had was no pool for at least 2 weeks, for me or the "swim team" if ya catch my drift. His suggestion was don't do anything that that made me uncomfortable.

I didn't believe him and expected what you all are describing. I scheduled it for Thurs afternoon and also took Friday off. After the procedure, he gave me a subscription for pain pills. When I picked it up it was 2 pills. Not 2 different medications, 2 pills in a bottle, done. I took one and probably didn't need it. Never took the second. I went to work the next day to save the personal day. (Full disclosure, I had a job in an office setting. I wouldn't have done roofing or another labor intensive job the next day. I would have moved one keg though, not that I am telling you to. Do NOT take any medical or well being advice from me, as I am NOT a doctor).

Only discomfort I encountered was when I wasn't careful when I sat down. No swelling to speak of, no pain, no cramps, didn't need to ice it or use frozen peas.

And 2 seperate tests conducted at a hospital confirmed it was a successful procedure, plus the additional testing in my home "lab".

Last edited:
I must have had a really good doctor. He told me it would be nothing & I could go back to work day of. The only real limitations I had was no pool for at least 2 weeks, for me or the "swim team" if ya catch my drift. His suggestion was don't do anything that that made me uncomfortable.

I didn't believe him and expected what you all are describing. I scheduled it for Thurs afternoon and also took Friday off. After the procedure, he gave me a subscription for pain pills. When I picked it up it was 2 pills. Not 2 different medications, 2 pills in a bottle, done. I took one and probably didn't need it. Never took the second. I went to work the next day to save the personal day. (Full disclosure, I had an job in an office setting. I wouldn't have done roofing or another labor intensive job the next day. I would have moved one keg though, not that I am telling you to. Do NOT take any medical or well being advice from me, as I am NOT a doctor).

Only discomfort I encountered was when I wasn't careful when I sat down. No swelling to speak of, no pain, no cramps, didn't need to ice it or use frozen peas.

And 2 seperate tests conducted at a hospital confirmed it was a successful procedure, plus the additional testing in my home "lab".

I took it easy, froze my nuts on peas and got caught up on design work. Happy to report I too didn’t have any problems and felt I could go at life 100%. Not sure if my positive experience is a result of chilling (literally and figuratively) or if I too had a great doc. Not something worth pressing your luck with in my opinion though.

My rubber top/bottom ball lock kegs from AIH weigh 9.55 lb empty. The formula for beer weight is:
Weight = gals * 8.33 lb/gal * FG​
Water at 68°F weighs 8.33 lb/gal, and SG is the ratio of beer density to water density, so beer has a density of 8.33 lb/gal * SG of the beer.

So, 5 gal of 1.010 FG beer weighs 5 * 8.33 * 1.010 = 42.07 lb, and a keg with 5 gal of beer in it weighs 9.55 + 42.07 = 51.62 lb.

I can pretty much guarantee you are not gonna want to lift that. :eek:

Brew on :mug:

I took it easy, froze my nuts on peas and got caught up on design work. Happy to report I too didn’t have any problems and felt I could go at life 100%. Not sure if my positive experience is a result of chilling (literally and figuratively) or if I too had a great doc. Not something worth pressing your luck with in my opinion though.

You have no idea how happy I am to hear that I'm not the only one that has done that. Hell, the scrotal frostbite I have myself hurt worse than the operation.

On a side note, when your wife asks how bad it hurts, save yourself the eye rolls and say not very bad. Assuming the two of you had kids, her nether regions won't have much sympathy for yours. Just a heads up...

I got snipped back in the day myself. I was back to normal in three days.

As far as lifting, ask a buddy to come over for a bit to help. No need to risk hurting the twins.

Depending on what they are giving you for pain medication I would lay off the booze for a while.

On that point, make sure you don’t take anything that prohibits booze consumption. I declined the pain meds and told my doc my pain management plan was whisky. He said “that’s probably a better plan”.

I do hope all goes well for you on Tuesday.
I had this done many years ago in the dark ages - when the cauterization tool was stored in the firepit on the coals.
I think they've improved things since then. One thing remains unchanged.... don't breathe in during cauterization.:no::no:

Back