How much DME or LME can be added to raise the gravity of the wort during boiling ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

as the title say is there any limit of DME or LME that you can add to your wort to raise the gravity ?

Do you prefer LME or DME ?

When you add during the boil ? I usualy use it at about 15 min left to bring my gravity where I want it using Beersmith calculator. I already added a pound or two of DME to raise my gravity but is there a maximum that you can use ?

I ask this because the max I can reach using my Braumeister is about 1.065 or so and I want to make bigger beer.

Thanks for your help !

I prefer DME. Technically, no there is no limit.

I've used up to 2.5 ponds in a partial mash IPA. There's no reason you couldn't use 5 pounds or more. It is going to change the flavor/color of your brew.

You may want to think about using corn sugar instead. It's flavorless and yeast will eat it up. Though I don't know that I would use more than 5 pounds. The most I've ever used is 2.5 pounds.

In either case, both should be added in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the boil.

You can add as much malt extract as you want. I've used malt extract to significantly boost the gravity of a RIS that was well beyond the capacity of my mash tun. I wouldn't add corn sugar unless you want to boost the gravity and dry out the beer.

Thanks ! That makes me more confident to use more DME in my beer !!! Yeah I would not use a lot of corn sugar thats for sure... it would not replace the ''grain'' naturaly.

Back