How much DME do I need for bottling 1 L & Grolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badaboom

Reaction score
I am doing my first batch from a kit (czech pil). I'm not going to pitch in the DME straight into the batch because I'm not quite sure what the final volume will be (avoiding the yeast on bottom). So I'm going to put the DME in each bottle. I have 1 litre plastic bottles and some grolsch snap top bottles. How much DME should I put in each?

PS, it's actually a spraymalt light (barley malt extract) by Muntons.

Thanks for any help I can get.

DME's are basically dried wort. I'm thinking it would make bottle bombs if any more than a tsp was used. But why are you using part of the fermentables in the bottle instead of the boil?

I'm using a 23L glass carboy, but only filled it to about 22 litres. It's been 7 days and it looks ready to bottle. I'm going to transfer the batch directly to bottle and try not to get any yeast sediment from the bottom. I will put the DME into the bottles and transfer the beer into each bottle. That's why I don't want to pitch in the priming sugar to the whole batch because I'm not sure what the volume will be. I saw on this chart:

http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

from another forum post. It seems like I would need 6.8 g/L. Does that sound accurate?

I'm using a 23L glass carboy, but only filled it to about 22 litres. It's been 7 days and it looks ready to bottle. I'm going to transfer the batch into a bottling bucket and try not to get any yeast sediment from the bottom. I will put the DME into the bottles and transfer the beer into each bottle. That's why I don't want to pitch in the priming sugar to the whole batch because I'm not sure what the volume will be. I saw on this chart:

http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

from another forum post. It seems like I would need 6.8 g/L. Does that sound accurate?

Yeah,sounds about right. But SDME's are usually added to the wort,even if you're using it with an LME. I did,& still topped of to the same 23L. You just get more color,flavor,etc. Not to mention,tastier fermentables for that buzz...

Yeah,sounds about right. But SDME's are usually added to the wort,even if you're using it with an LME. I did,& still topped of to the same 23L. You just get more color,flavor,etc. Not to mention,tastier fermentables for that buzz...

Yeah I was wondering about that. Should I just use 3/4 cup corn sugar to bottle this batch and save the DME for my next batch and use it in the wort as a substitute for the corn sugar?

PS: How much corn sugar is needed per one litre bottle?

Did you use any fermentables in your batch? The DME to the bottles will cause them to explode. There is a reason why airlocks are used on carboys and fermentation buckets. There would be too much CO2 produced for the bottles to hold.

Did you use any fermentables in your batch? The DME to the bottles will cause them to explode. There is a reason why airlocks are used on carboys and fermentation buckets. There would be too much CO2 produced for the bottles to hold.

This was my concern basically. I'd ask the same question. Did you just ferment some LME? Steeping grains?...

I just used a beer kit, added 1kg of corn sugar and 22litres of water and pitched in the yeast. It's my first batch so I'm just doing the basics. I will just use 1 cup of corn sugar boiled in 2 cups of water and add to batch and bottle.

What was your Original Gravity?

What was your Gravity 3 days ago?

What is your Gravity today? If the same as 3 days ago, you can bottle.

If you saved all of the DME from your kit to add in the bottle, you probably do not have much of a beer right now. Adding the 6.8 g/L to each bottle will carbonate it, providing the yeast are still healthy, you just might not have much alcohol from little to no fermentables in the boil.

this sounds really backwards.. you fermented corn sugar and water and now you want to add DME for bottling?

That's great, but what is it that you're putting in the bottles exactly? Sounds like you didn't use any malt or hops.. so it's basically some kind of hooch. I'd recommend starting another batch as I wouldn't have very high hopes for this one being drinkable.

got it.. makes much more sense now. My first batch was a cooper's can of hopped malt extract (a brown ale kit) - I added all the priming sugar to the bucket (after heating it in some water on the stove). I prefer doing it that way, but if you want to do it per bottle I'd say for 1 liter bottles you can put 2tsp of corn sugar for priming.

Prehopped... It has been years since I have used it and I forgot that it is where most people start. Good, you had me thinking you were going to have a low abv yeast tea. Hope it turns out and definitely keep that DME for your next batch.

Back