How much did you spend on homebrewing last year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
Well, it's about that time of year. Tax time. In the course of doing my books, I figured out that in my first 6 months of home brewing, I spent nearly $900.00. Is that; less than, more than, or about average? It didn't seem like that much at the time. Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be even more this year. Thank God, I've got homebrew to ease my pain. Petey

Not much. I have all my gear....I can't remember buying any hardware except maybe refills of propane and oxygen bottles....no toys that I recall. I just brought grain, and some of it was bulk 2-row at 30 bucks for 55 pounds...so maybe I spent 200 in total?

Like Revvy, I have all my equipment already. I get a 50# bag of grain every couple months at $45 (6*45=270), propane every ~3 months (3 tanks*17*3=153), plus 2x5 gallon batches every month (~$30*12=360). Throw in odds and ends (bottle caps, CO2, dextrose) for about $50/year, and I'm up to about $840.

Revvy, where do you get your 2-row for $30/55#?

Last year mabye $120 This year wellllllll thats a bit different. I went ag this year and have already brew 2x what i did last year. I think im at $1200 and climbing for the year.
I am however adding the costs to keep swmbo happy into that price.

Like Revvy, I have all my equipment already. I get a 50# bag of grain every couple months at $45 (6*45=270), propane every ~3 months (3 tanks*17*3=153), plus 2x5 gallon batches every month (~$30*12=360). Throw in odds and ends (bottle caps, CO2, dextrose) for about $50/year, and I'm up to about $840.

The michigan mashers on here do a bulk buy every 6 months. I think the total was 32 with my share of the shipping rate for the pallette. I think it's 29 for the sack, and we all split the cost of shipping by how many folks are involved.

You need to get in on a group buy. I just got 2 55# bags of 2-row for $27 each.

I started last year at this time. I have spent about a grand. not too bad really considering I am content with my set-up and only plan on buying ingredients.

Well I have all my reciepts and lets say I'm afraid to add then up. I would say I spent $1000.00-$1500.00 easily last year, this year I spent over $1000.00 already. I love my hobbie!!!!!!

2 Blichmanns, 3 tap kegerator setup, mix of 3 & 5 gallon kegs, 6 carboys, and general starter supplies..... I think I'm easily $2000+ in with only three beers under my belt (three that aren't even done yet) :)

2010 was pretty cheap. $300 or so in malt, hops, and yeast purchased in group buys. I get fairly high efficiency too so a sack of grain goes about 50% farther than is typical.

You don't want to know about 2009 however... the year I built my setup. ;)

Kal

I haven't added up the receipts, but I would say about $3000. My brew rig was probably around $1200 alone.

Geez I'm not sure I want to add that up. Went from stove-top extract to blichmann-powered all grain in the last year...every time I think I'm satisfied with my set up something else comes along that catches me eye! I don't REALLY need a refractometer or a plate chiller...do I?

I started last years and was up over two-grand by September. I put myself on a brewing/spending freeze until just recently. I sold off a bunch of stuff, which helped a bit.

Now, I am in the black with my allowance category in the budget and find myself sans kettle. So I am about to embark on a spending spree again. Hahah.

I would say that I spent over $3,000 last year. Only buying ingredients this year.

Last year was just a lot of ingredients, and a little bit of equipment. Less than $2k, I'd say. I've spent a lot more this year already. Built a new brewstand, bought a 14g conical, replaced the faucets on my kegerator with perlicks, bought 4 more kegs, bought over 100lbs of grain already...I really, really do not want to add it up. :drunk:

Nothing last year. I just started this hobby about two weeks ago. I'm probably at about $550 now and I shouldn't need anything but ingredients for a while. Next big thing I'll buy will likely be a kegging set up next year after I get my tax refund back.

I probably spent about $1,600.00. I got a few new toys. It is worth it though. I have an unlimited supply of homebrew.

I think I spent under $200 but my wife thinks it was closer to $10,000. I think i will just forget how much I spent and hope she does too.

Probably 250. Really only ingredients last year. This year $1500 since I've stepped to kegging and spent $1100 this past weekend alone... But my guess is i'll break even from selling off extra/ old stuff since I've doubled my brewhouse capacity with the last equipment buy off craigslist.

I, as a few others here spent nothing on brewing last year, nor did we have homebrew. Doesn't that make us in worse shape than the rest of ya. I've been brewing for four weeks, I'm $297.39 including two 5g batches which are fermenting or conditioning right now.

Back