How much CO2 is produced during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came up with 22.3 moles of CO2 for a 20 L batch, with slightly different assumptions than yours. Both ways get a decent ballpark number.

So that's about 25 moles of CO2 for a 22L batch. +/- 20% of each other is close. A fair chunk of that would be taken up by me assuming a 1.010FG, when in reality it was probably more like 1.015. That's 10% of my calculation straight up.

a08c2f0d511d0fa409159936840b2adc.gif
It would have been even funnier had the text read "I accept mathematics as a science". But the phrase 'believe' made me laugh đź‘Ť

If you strung together 2 or 3 kegs on a 30 psi fermentation, you would have plenty of CO2 to run your keggerator, and the beer would already be carbonated.

While I am resurrecting an old thread, it's to give thanks.

I just started a dark mild fermenting in a keg, and have a serving keg freshly cleaned and sanitized, but used the sanitizer during the mild brew day.

Armed with the knowledge of this thread and the quoted "Keg Purging..." I am confident that my current batch could easily purge my eventual serving keg to O2 levels in the low PPB range over the course of a normal (non-spunded) fermentation.

It saved me from a wee bit of work, as well as some tank CO2 once I realized if I hooked this up right away my serving keg we would be ready to roll once we hit FG.

I ran a line from the gas OUT on the serving keg to a bubbler on my workbench. It's nice to see things working.. remotely LOL.

Last edited:
Back