How much cherry extract is enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftcontact

Reaction score
I have 5 gals of Northern Brewer's dark cherry stout in primary now bubbling away madly. :) It is brewed like a normal stout, and then they send you a 4.8 ounce bottle of cherry extract to add at bottling. All well and good, however, the recipe just says to add the extract to taste. Not having worked with this ingredient before, how much is a lot? Half a bottle, or the whole bottle, or just a little bit? Any advice appreciated, thank you!

leftcontact said:
I have Northern Brewer's dark cherry stout in primary now bubbling away madly. :) It is brewed like a normal stout, and then they send you a 4.8 ounce bottle of cherry extract to add at bottling. All well and good, however, the recipe just says to add the extract to taste. Not having worked with this ingredient before, how much is a lot? Half a bottle, or the whole bottle, or just a little bit? Any advice appreciated, thank you!

IME 4oz is perfect for a 5 gallon batch

Ok, will try that. Actually probably 3.5, stir, taste, treat as necessary...

Thanks!

will this affect how much priming sugar you add at bottling? i would think the extract has sugar in it already.

will this affect how much priming sugar you add at bottling? i would think the extract has sugar in it already.

I wouldn't think it would. I didn't notice any over carbing when using this with priming sugar. But I wouldn't be able to confirm one way or the other if there had been additional carbing due to the extract flavors or if it was just from the priming sugars.

Back