How much chamomile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I am brewing a saison today and want to keep all the flavors subtle. A good example would be like a Collete from Great Divide.

I want to add chamomile as the only "spice" and let the yeast strain provide any other spice flavors and aromas.

Just wondering how much would be a good amount in a 5 gallon batch

I've heard 1 or 2 teabags of 100% chamomile tea is good to use or .25oz if you get the raw flowers from a tea shop, which is what I usually do in my wit. Add them in last 5 minutes of the boil though, otherwise, it can start to add bitterness if boiled longer.

I recently brewed the Wildflower Wheat out of Extreme Brewing. It called for 2 oz of flowers. One of the only reasons I brewed is I was at the grocery store and noticed a new spice/herb rack that had whole chamomille flowers and remembered the recipe. I did some research and someone commented about the 2oz being to much. I toned it down and only used 1.1oz. Mainly cause that is what came in the bag. IMO I thougth it turned out pretty good. Not my favorite but had several friends that really liked it. Dont think I would use anymore flowers than I did though.

In my most recent Wit, I used chamomile tea bags. I added 3 tea bags of pure chamomile flowers, and that measured out to about .12oz on my scale. Was hoping for .25oz, but oh well. I add it at the last 5 minutes of the boil and mentioned above.

Back