How much can an antique stove hold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With it getting cold out i'm looking for cheap alternatives to using my kitchen stove with BIAB.
My pot is so big I have to take it off to pull the bag because of the vent.

I have one of these in my basement just sitting there.
ZK667So.jpg

Easy to hook up and I have a basement window I can vent it with.
I like it because my Pot can straddle all 4 burners.
b7o2LLa.jpg

But, will it hold a 10 gal. batch plus grain without buckling?
Anyone have experience with these stoves?
It's a Tappen if that matters and so old I can't even find a pic of it on the intertubes yet alone a manual.

My guess is that it will hold the weight easily.

Proof load test it to 2-3 times the weight you see brewing. Not real scientific, but you could simply fill your pot with water and press down with another 50-100 lbs....stoves are pretty darn sturdy.

My guess is that it will hold the weight easily.

Proof load test it to 2-3 times the weight you see brewing. Not real scientific, but you could simply fill your pot with water and press down with another 50-100 lbs....stoves are pretty darn sturdy.

DUH!
I got 300lbs of Olympic plates I can lay on it.
not that i'll lay all of it on it. :)

Thanks.

I bet that stove will take all that weight without wincing. I just got done chopping up an old-ish electric range and the damned thing was built like a tank...

Cheers!

Four burners and steam in a basement, some ventilation and fresh make up air would be wise!

yeap. i'll put it under the basement window with a hood and vent fan. Looking at a 10" with 600 CFM. should do the job. Since it is a stone basement airflow is not a problem.
I'll just have to incorporate the pully system for lifting the bag through the vent.
The pot I have is an old heavy duty aluminum pot from some industrial sausage stuffing machine with two threaded ports on the bottom so if I have the clearance for an elbow that will make draining it easier also.

Will be hitting you up for a bag in about a month once i'm done. ;)

Last edited:
Back