How much blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
I've made a caramel vanilla cream ale that I got from this forum. I'm getting ready to make it again and want to add blueberries to it. I have a fee questions. I'm planning on using the canned pie filling stuff, I think the brand is Oregon

1.How much should I use?
2.when should I add it?
3.can I add it to the primary fermenter bucket or should I move to a secondary?
4.how long should I let the fruit stay in there?

I tried that stuff. I put a can in the secondary of a stout. I think I used the blackberry. Anyway, I poured it into the secondary and racked on top of it. The end result was it didn't mix up in the brew and when I siphoned to bottle I got a bunch of the remnants of the juice in my bucket and then in the bottle. It didn't work very well. I don't know if there is a way to mix it in without aerating the beer in the secondary.

I think a better way would be to try to use real fruit and sanitize it either in hot water for a few moments or I have read that some people freeze it. Perhaps someone else can help you with that. I just wanted to let you know how I used the puree and how it worked out.

I just did a Blueberry Cream Ale. I did not use Blueberry extract but used 9 lbs of fresh berries. I lost about a gallon of beer when I racked the 5 gallons onto the berries. That lost gallon I did bottle so if you rack and have extra beer left over be prepared to have a place to store it.

If I did it again I would cut back on the amount of fruit I used. Maybe 7 lbs. The final beer has a slight tartness from the Blueberries.

Also I have done a few beers with real fruit and I have never sanitized the fruit. The alcohol in the beer should kill any possible nasties on the fruit.

I left my beer on the fruit for a week in secondary. Seems to be about the right amount of time. But just taste it and see if it is "Blueberry" enough for you.

Use fresh blueberries, frozen and smashed. 9lbs seems a little too much for a lighter beer. I use 6-7 lbs in my blueberry porter and it comes out great. I agree that a week in secondary is prefect.

I have also never sanitized the fruit.

Back