How much beer can I expect to lose to trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy07

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning to brew a version of the "Heavenscent IIPA" from the IPA recipe database, I changed up the hop schedule a bit and substituted the caramel malt 20L for caramel malt 40L. I am playing with the recipe in beersmith on my iPad and am trying to scale it up slightly so I can get as close to 5 gallons into the keg, but I'm not sure how much beer I will lose to trub. This will be my 3rd batch so I'm not sure what to expect from a big hoppy beer like this in terms of beer loss.

Here is the recipe, any advice is appreciated.

1.8 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L (Steeped prior to boil)
9lbs Pilsner LME (Full boil per original recipe creator)
1lb Dextrose (full boil)
1 oz Chinook (60 minutes)
1 oz Chinook (45)
0.5 oz Simcoe (20)
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold (15)
0.5 oz Simcoe (10)
Irish Moss (10)
0.5 Amarillo Gold (5)
Ferment 14 days using WLP001 "California Ale"
Dry hop 7 days with 1 oz each Amarillo Gold and Simcoe

With the recipe as is I am getting 80IBU and a SG of 1.075 (this is with the 5 gallon pot and cooler all-grain equipment profile, can't figure out how to change it to a full boil extract profile, so any help with that will be greatly appreciated too)

I am planning to make a starter using the "Shake" method and fermenting in a mini-fridge that will be modified to fit my bucket.

Do you mean trub or from hop absorption? I usually pull an extra 1/2g into kettle when making IPAs because of the extreme amount of hop absorption. Trub I don't have exact numbers bit I don't think u lose more than 1/8-1/4 gallon and I would say this is on the high end.

I usually shoot for 5.5 gallons into the fermentor on an IPA to end up with 5 gallons in the keg. After samples, hop absorbtion, that usually puts me pretty tight on 5 gallons.

I'm talking more about the trub at the bottom of the fermenter after fermentation.

Normally I get about an 1-2" of trub depending what I am cooking up, don't know with the amount of hops you're using, or what your brewing technique is.

And I'll maybe get to siphon up to within a half inch of it before it starts sucking up material. Like was stated above I adjust my ingredients to account for loss so I am actually bottling 5 gallons.

If I do not adjust when I'm filling the fermentor I will get 4.5 gallons into the bottles. Sometimes I will add a quart over 5 gallons if the brew is very full bodied.
The half gallon loss is the amount of beer I leave in the fermentor, the spill into my bottling tray, the last bottle which is less 3/4 full, and the amount left in the bottling bucket.
The last two go into a glass for tasting. Little bit sweet, but it is my beer.

If your using pellet hops, maybe a quarter gallon..if your using pellet hops for dry hopping depending on how much your using you can lose another quarter gallon probably.

Also if your using pellets in the brew, i'd add another bit of loss as those will settle out at the bottom too...

I am planning on using pellet hops, 2 oz. total for dry hopping and 4 oz. total for the boil.

So it seems like 1/2 gallon is a safe expectation on what i'll lose? Should I scale the recipe to account for that loss or will adding a 1/2 gallon to my fermenter work just as well without watering it down too much? I am planning to do a full boil so I wasn't planning to top it off in the fermenter and it seems like adding 1/2 gallon of water to the full boil wort would water it down and effect the flavor in a negative way.

I brewed a heady topper clone recipe lately. The hop schedule was ridiculous, 11 oz. pellet hops. Without looking at the recipe I think I used 2 oz. in boil, 4 oz. in whirlpool, and 5oz. dry hopping. I lost an estimated gallon of beer to hop absorption, and I think I lost a half gallon to evap. in the whirlpool. I only bottled 35 when it was all said and done. I won't do that again.

I am planning on using pellet hops, 2 oz. total for dry hopping and 4 oz. total for the boil.

So it seems like 1/2 gallon is a safe expectation on what i'll lose? Should I scale the recipe to account for that loss or will adding a 1/2 gallon to my fermenter work just as well without watering it down too much? I am planning to do a full boil so I wasn't planning to top it off in the fermenter and it seems like adding 1/2 gallon of water to the full boil wort would water it down and effect the flavor in a negative way.

Scale you're recipe batch size to 5.5 gal. Collect enough mash/sparge water for a pre-boil vol of about 7.75 to 8 gal. (amount depends on you're boil vigor, hop additions, etc.)

My IPA uses 8 oz hops in the boil/hop stand. I start with a pre-boil vol of 7.85 gals, strain into the fermenter and end up with about 5.5 gals into the fermenter. I then lose about .5 gal to trub and dryhop absorbtion (4.5 oz DH), and bottle amount equals about 5 gals.

Scale you're recipe batch size to 5.5 gal. Collect enough mash/sparge water for a pre-boil vol of about 7.75 to 8 gal. (amount depends on you're boil vigor, hop additions, etc.)

My IPA uses 8 oz hops in the boil/hop stand. I start with a pre-boil vol of 7.85 gals, strain into the fermenter and end up with about 5.5 gals into the fermenter. I then lose about .5 gal to trub and dryhop absorbtion (4.5 oz DH), and bottle amount equals about 5 gals.[/QUOTES]

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot I made this thread lol.

So in order to scale my 5 gallon recipe to 5.5 gallons I just add an extra 10% of each ingredient, correct? That seems easy enough.

Latest posts

Back