How many volumes of CO2 is safe for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I have brewed beer for over 20 years, of which the first 15 were blissfully ignorant of much information regarding 'best' practices. Since I have been a member of HBT I have learned reems of great info that have me brewing really good beer.

Recently I read about volumes of CO2 as it relates to bottling. Obviously kegs can handle higher volumes with near impunity (they're metal for crying out loud) but bottles have a max limit of 2.5 volumes. Is that number correct?

I ask this because I brewed a saison and the priming calculator said I would need 3.2 volumes of CO2, which equated to 1.33 cups of DME for priming. This caused me to use no more than 1 cup (decreased by app 25%) so I wouldn't have bottle bombs. Am I correct in these assumptions? For the record I have had a total of two (!) bottle bombs in 20 years.

Thanks for all of your input!

Like most other things.... it depends. Brand new beer bottles will safely handle 3.2 vol even if their manufactures won't explicitly make that claim. After you've used them a few times and tossed them from unknown heights into your recycling bin? Would all of them explode at 3.2? Obviously not. Would 1? Maybe.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about 3.2 vol.

I would move to measuring your priming sugars in terms of mass, rather than volume.

3.2 vol will give you a fizzy saison, which is how they should be. You should be fine. Others may worry about you, but I wouldn't. That's where I usually prime my saisons.

Thanks for the reassurance. I would rather have undercarbed beer than bombs going off! Last month my brother had a bottle blow and shot up into the shelf above it like a missle. Not pretty...

Back