How many times have you cracked open one of your beers and said....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as often as I'd like, but it's happened a few times.

I brewed a saison this summer and everytime I crack one I keep thinking that. It just keeps on getting better and better with every month!!

I'm always nervous when I first try my beers. "PLEASE be good.. please be good.." - then I try it and I'm like, "Damn this is f*#&king great beer!".

I made a double hoped ipa the other day using a coopers extract kit. Omg it came out ****ing stupid good. I would pay 5 to 8 dollars a beer for this **** and if u drink more than 2. Be ready to forget things in the a.m. I stepped the alc to 8.5. Lots o sugar an a lil bit of brown sugar. Cheeres

Every time I try one of my IPAs this is my reaction. I hardly even drink store bought IPA unless its something special.

Fortunately its happened multiple times in my first full year of serious brewing. The amber and rye most recently...awesome beer! *pats self on back* :eek:

And on the other side of it...

I brewed a few high gravity beers this year. Started in June and July. I fermented at room temperature and now have a sh.tload of very alcohol forward... very hot beer. It gets me screwed up, but it doesn't taste very well. I'm too cheap to throw it out, so I'll mix them up... one or two - never more than two - any evening.

I've since added a fermentation chamber.

Fermentation temperature turns out to be hugely important, and for your average ale should be lower than most of us think when we first start out. (Been there, screwed that up, drank it anyway.) I'm having more of those great "wow" moments now that I aim for a cool, controlled fermentation. It took a long time to get that through my head!

I am very critical of my brews so although it does happen, it doesn't happen all that often. Mainly because I am always thinking, "Next time I will do..." and it taints the overall experience for me.

I know, I need to just kick back and enjoy it for what it is, but that isn't me unfortunately.:(

I've only made 3 batches that I can think of that I said, meh it's OK. All the others are really great beers.

Drank my first batch of American wheat last night and you took the words right out of my mouth, this is a great beer. Was easy and cheap to make, it's on the always to brew list now.

Certainly not every time, but more often as I go along. I opened a really good one last night, the color, flavor, and head were all very pleasing.

I've been brewing now for over a year so I'm just starting to really like my beers. I've never had an undrinkable batch but there were aspects of my brews that kept me from saying "wow". I have a feeling 2014 is going to be full of awesome home brews for me!

I am very critical of my brews so although it does happen, it doesn't happen all that often. Mainly because I am always thinking, "Next time I will do..." and it taints the overall experience for me.

I know, I need to just kick back and enjoy it for what it is, but that isn't me unfortunately.:(

This ^^. I too am very critical of my beer. Well, every beer for that matter. But I have had those great moments. What surprises me sometimes is that one day I say a certain one of my brews is just ok and the next day I think it is amazing. I believe that a lot of how one experiences the taste of beer (or anything for that matter) has a lot to do with your expectations, mood, food you are eating, your surroundings, even the company you are with. There is a lot more to taste than just taste buds.

I think the more we brew, the more we learn from our beers. Of course we should all be making great beer, if we didn't.. no one would be around. Everyone has different tastes too which is great. I did a Munich based beer, I was not as big of a fan as I was hoping to be... But I took a bottle into my brew shop, and a second bottle for another guy who is always in when im in. Seems like our thursday afternoon meetings :) They both LOVED the beer... so to each their own :)

Back