How many taps from a 5 gallon CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I am planning my new kegerator and am wondering how many kegs of beer could be run off of a 5 gallon CO2 tank? Is there a limit? If I am running 4 kegs, how long can I expect 5lbs of CO2 to last?

Thanks in advance!

5# will be good for quite some time, but will go faster if you force carb with it as well. FYI, if you don't have a tank/space limitations in mind for your tank, it is cheaper by volume to fill a larger tank. My 5# is $10, where as 20# is like $12-$14 (I still haven't had mine refilled yet- force carb with it, and have served over a dozen kegs).

I just had to get mine refilled 5# for 5$ i forced carbed and served 6 kegs gonna build up the pipe line so they have time to carb on there own

5lb is ok but like MoRoToRiUm said it's much cheaper per lb to have a larger tank. Check really well for leaks, or your tank will be empty fast.

Most places charge more for having to touch your tank, rather then filling 5 or 20 pounds... Most places are that way; I guess check out your local place and ask what they charge (or stick with the five for now and see how it works out; still not sure if you are looking at tanks or just wondering how long yours will last).

Enjoy :mug:!

I just got a 20# tank to supplement my 5# that came with my kegging kit. When I got the 5# filled the first time, it was $12.

I asked the lady at the fire extinguisher place "just curious, how much is it to refill a 15 or 20 pound tank?"

After she told me $15 for a 15# and $17 for a 20#, I started looking for a bigger tank!

As previously stated, many places don't charge that much more for a larger tank.

Most places charge more for having to touch your tank, rather then filling 5 or 20 pounds... Most places are that way; I guess check out your local place and ask what they charge (or stick with the five for now and see how it works out; still not sure if you are looking at tanks or just wondering how long yours will last).

Enjoy :mug:!

Hey guys-
Thanks for the information.. I am going to keg for the first time and was looking for some practical information. I found it! thanks again:fro:

I have 5 kegs hooked up to my 5# cylinder and force carbed them. So far it has been great and I have carbed over 10 kegs with a couple of kegs of soda off the one tank.

Latest posts

Back