How many taps are enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a kegerator with a two tap tower (and getting an appropriately sized fridge for that). I'm wonderring if I should go with a bigger fridge/chest freezer because I might want more taps later. Has anyone with two taps found themselves wishing they had more?

I know that the standard answer is always going to be more. Maybe a better question would be what's the best way to start with two, yet leave yourself an option for expanding without spending a boatload of money over and over again?

It depends where it is going.... if you have room a chest freezer is the obvious answer. If it needs to be someplace nice (like upstairs in your house) then you have to be more creative. It also really depends on how much you brew.

Really depends on what space constraints you have and what rate of consumption you are looking at. Be aware that cold conditioning works well and that carbing and chilling a keg takes considerable time. W/ a two keg capacity server, you might only have one keg of fully conditioned brew avail. for consumption at times. I know my brew tastes it's best after sitting in the keezer for two to three weeks mminimum. So IMO for the best quality experience, you actually need almost double what you plan on serving.

Note: this whole reasoning does not apply if you only intend to drink 4-6 pints a week...hah!

I think that this would keep me happy for a while!

7986d1222989444-naked-city-brewing-has-location-perlicks-006.jpg

I'll say seventy-two. I think I'd be happy with seventy-two taps.

As it happens, I have 5 and it's just not enough, but the 8.2 cu ft chest freezer was the biggest SWMBO would allow.

I'd need a minimum of 12 taps. Brewtopia's setup at Naked City is closer to what I'd like. :p

It seems like a collar with faucets on a chest freezer would allow for more upgrade-ability as opposed to adding more dual towers to the top of the freezer. Does that seem like a reasonable assumption? I do like the simplicity of simply drilling a few holes and mounting a tower to the top, though.

it is tough to say. Good to try and plan ahead like you are but hard to be sure.

A few pointers to consider.

If you are not kegging yet, and or you do not have a kegerator, be aware that once you do your consumption WILL rise. You will want to increase production.

Once you increase production you will probably want to increase your styles of beer availability.

Also consider that you will want room in your kegerator for kegs that are conditioning and carbonating so that you can immediately switch out a keg when it kicks with one that is ready.

You can also have picnic taps inside if you do not have enough taps.

So, I guess I would say, the most important thing is to have enough room for enough kegs in various states of readiness and not worry so much about the taps. Do consider if you have room for expansion though.

Does that help... :drunk:

Yes, that is helpful. You guys are convincing me to go larger (not that I needed much convincing). Now for the line that ends so many threads on here: Time to go convince SWMBO why I need another/larger/more...

If SWMBO gives you a hard time about, just get 2 keg minifridge. Then whe she realizes how aweseom beer on tap it, let it run out a few times making her wait, Then say, "with a chest freezer We could have some conditioning for when these kick". THen you'll have your multi tap keezer and a mini to use for lagering, or for a two tapper in the garage!

If SWMBO gives you a hard time about, just get 2 keg minifridge. Then whe she realizes how aweseom beer on tap it, let it run out a few times making her wait, Then say, "with a chest freezer We could have some conditioning for when these kick". THen you'll have your multi tap keezer and a mini to use for lagering, or for a two tapper in the garage!

I like the way you think. :rockin:

Well, I used to think this was enough

2430249128_2775fe3c71.jpg

I met this.

Those knives would sure slow me down grabbing for another pint. Thats scary.

My plan is to get a chest freezer with room for at least 5. 4 on tap and one conditioning. I don't drink it that fast so having any more on tap would result in the same keg sitting in the freezer for 6 months or more.
I think a chest freezer with collar is the best way to allow for plenty of kegs and easy upgradability. However towers probably look better and you can get 3 tap towers.

Craig

Although I have 6 kegs in my kegerator, I have 4 taps and to be honest, 4 is a good compromise. The two kegs that are not tapped are kept on CO2 and are properly carbed and conditioned. They are ready to 'plug-in' as soon as the last pint is poured from one of the 4 that is tapped.

It's worked very well for me, but like everything else, YMMV.

- GL63

Really depends on your freezer, I'd have 1 conditioned & ready to plug & play for every 3-4 taps that are flowing. I have room for 17 kegs in my chest freezer, so my plans are to have 10 taps flowing & 7 ready to go. We're all dreaming here arent we?

I haven't built mine yet, but I'm sure 2 or 3 or 4 taps wouldn't be enough, especially when SWMBO & I have such differing tastes.

2 taps for me
2 taps for her
2 taps for everybody else
2 taps for experimentals
1 tap for aphelwine
1 tap for cola/rootbeer

I think 10 is the perfect number

Skip that "one conditioning" idea. With that man kegs (variety), that 5th one will be ready to drink before one of the four faucets open up. Been there, done that. You'll end up putting a picnic faucet on that one. Start with 5 faucets.

My current philosopy is 4 taps is enough.
1 for a drinking beer (like playing cards or socializing).
1 for a quick buzz beer. 1 or two beers and you have a good buzz going. Drink only if your not planning on doing anything.
1 for experimental.
1 for thsoe non drinkers or desigated drivers, root beer is a good choice. Its got beer in the name.....

Latest posts

Back