How many ounces of whole hops would it take...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
...to fill up a standard growler? I just put up some shelves for glasses over the keezer and put a growler full of 2-row on there as a decorative device. A growler of whole hops would look nice along with it. How many ounces of whole hops do you think it'd take? Anyone have a big stash they can eyeball?

I guess I could fill it with pellets but then the growler would be more expensive than the whole keezer and all of the kegs put together. :)

Pretty cool idea, maybe get some roasted grain in a third? Are you worried about the hops changing color with time at all?

Go find some wild hops--they look the same, and are cheap.. .. I have an endless supply growing near my house, but they are all turning brown right now. dry them out and seal them up in the growler under CO2.

Are you worried about the hops changing color with time at all?

Yeah. I kind of figure that they'll eventually turn brown and need to be replaced. Not sure how long they'll stay decent-looking in a sealed growler.

Go find some wild hops--they look the same, and are cheap.. .. I have an endless supply growing near my house, but they are all turning brown right now. dry them out and seal them up in the growler under CO2.

Not sure where I'd find wild hops around here. Not that there aren't any, but other that wandering around the countryside I'm not sure where to start.

Interesting comment about the CO2. Are you saying if I purge the growler with CO2 and then shoot some more in after I fill it with hops that the hops will stay fresher (looking) longer?

Interesting comment about the CO2. Are you saying if I purge the growler with CO2 and then shoot some more in after I fill it with hops that the hops will stay fresher (looking) longer?

I would think they would. Dried Hops that are vacuum sealed stay greener for a long time-- all plants decompose in presence of oxygen-- this is much slower with CO2 present--and since CO2 is heavier than air/oxygen, purge the growler, add hops, then purge again and seal. I think they would stay green for quite some time.

You might be able to get some sort of spray laquer (sp?) of some sort. That should pretty much preserve them.

i used a Duvel tulip glass to hold hops in during my last brew session. I fit 1 ounce in the glass.

After I dumped the hops into the kettle, I filled the glass with Blind Pig... it was YUMMY

Back