How many litres of water for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamNorfolk1982

Reaction score
Hi am going to do a BIAB, just a simple 10 litre batch,
2kg MO
some challgener and cascade
how many litres should i mash the 2kg MO

Before you look to a calculator (which is helpful and not a bad thing at all), it is good to understand the basic information to calculate the volume. You need the following information: Amount of water to fermentor, boil off rate x boil time, amount of water left in the grain, and any excess that you leave behind in the trub and for sampling losses.

For my system, I boil off 2.1 liters per hour and typically do a 90 minute boil I squeeze the bag to get out as much of the sugars that I can, so my grain absorption is 0.5 liters per KG of grain. I also plan to leave behind about 0.75 liters of wort and trub behind when I transfer to the fermentor.

So for my system the water needed is: 10 liters + 2.1 liters/hr * 1.5 hrs + 0.5 liters/KG X 2 KG of grain + 0.75 liters of trub = 14.9 liters for mashing.

Your numbers may vary, but I would recommend looking to measure the water absorption in the grain and your boil off rate to lock in on your calculation for future brews. Knowing how this is calculated can help with the other on-line calculators in setting the parameters to where you need them to be instead of relying on someone else's data, which may or may not correlate to yours.

^
||

I do imperial, so about 1 pint per 2lbs, which works out to roughly .5L per kg for grain absorption. Assuming you ring the heck out of the grain bag, if you don't, figure possibly closer to .75L per kg, even if you let it hang and drip a long time.

Then you need to figure your boil off and any hop losses.

Latest posts

Back