How many gallons of Cider in 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressed the last of my Baldwins and got just over 8 gals. Thick, rich, and sweet (SG-1.064) with a bite (pH=3.3) and just enough tannin to slightly dry the mouth. This will be a wild ferment single variety cider.

1174.25 + 8 = 1182.25

Pressed the last of my Baldwins and got just over 8 gals. Thick, rich, and sweet (SG-1.064) with a bite (pH=3.3) and just enough tannin to slightly dry the mouth. This will be a wild ferment single variety cider.

1174.25 + 8 = 1182.25

I am so jealous. Don't have trees and would love to source enough juice to do some single varietals.

1194.25 + .75 of a cyser, but since it's just a little honey and a mix of bottled and fresh pressed apples, it's going here. Plus get rid of the #@%^!! .25 thing.
Whoops, just realized that we also made some back in August that is not recorded here, and some more in November. SO +7 gallons to make it 1202!!!!!
Happy new year, all you ciderers out there! :mug:

Last edited:
I've been meaning to add in my October experiment and keep getting sidetracked. 3.5 gallons of my own home-pressed cider. Thanks to all the wonderful information at homebrewtalk that pushed me in the right direction to give this a try.

1214+ 3.5 = 1217.5

1217.5+5gals=1222.5

i put together a few days ago, lots of brown sugar in this one!

20161226_100359.jpg

20161226_102909.jpg

I pressed the apples in December 2016, but didn't get around to adding the yeast until last night, so did I "make" the cider this year or last year? Hmmm, I'll have to open some of my 2015 cider that didn't get done fermenting until the spring of 2016 and ponder this.

I pressed the apples in December 2016, but didn't get around to adding the yeast until last night, so did I "make" the cider this year or last year? Hmmm, I'll have to open some of my 2015 cider that didn't get done fermenting until the spring of 2016 and ponder this.

Personally I go by when I pitch the yeast, but it's a philosophical conundrum!

21.5 gallons for me last year.
= 1244

here's to a cidery 2017, cheers--
--Michael

For those of us who buy juice from an orchard or grow our own apples, there is a season for cider. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, that season straddles the New Year so it makes the distinction of "how much cider in 2016" a little shakey. As I open another bottle of the 2015 and settle in front of the fire in my rocker I too will ponder this philosophical conundrum. So cheers to all and lets hope the 2016 is ready to drink before the 2015 is gone.

For those of us who buy juice from an orchard or grow our own apples, there is a season for cider. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, that season straddles the New Year so it makes the distinction of "how much cider in 2016" a little shakey. As I open another bottle of the 2015 and settle in front of the fire in my rocker I too will ponder this philosophical conundrum. So cheers to all and lets hope the 2016 is ready to drink before the 2015 is gone.

I date my cider when it's finished or when I bottle it. So in my notebook everything aging in my basement now is labelled 2017.

But, when I start a batch I list it here based on the date I started. Right or wrong? :tank:

Yep, when you pitch yeast that's when you make cider. If you ferment with the yeast that's on the apples when you press it, then you made cider when you pressed your juice

Unless you froze it, then it gets a bit more blurry

My wife and I started making cider in 2015 and made 10 gallons, in 2016 we made 50 gallons. We are going to shoot for 200 gallons in 2017.

I have 125 gallons sitting in speidel barrels. Used a different yeast in each 15.9 gallon barrel. Cider has been in secondary for about 2 months now. We picked, washed, ground and pressed every apple our selves. This is our first year/time making cider.
We may have gotten in over our heads lol

Back