How Many Gallons Brewed In 2021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got ~10 gallons of 1.058 off 20lbs homemalt cooling, i'm going to put the yeast and gluco in the fermenter in a second. figure pouring the wort will mix it up better that way, so i'm kinda jumping the gun....just barley syrup right now with bad intentions!

3191+10=3201

Little late w/this entry..brewed on 5/21

5G NEIPA
5G Winter Ale

3279.75 + 10 = 3289.75

tempImageWWdILb.jpg

Sounds like my kind of pipeline.

3309 + 3.8 AK

= 3312.8 gal

No laughing, @bracconiere. I work hard for every tenth of a gallon. (3.82, thank you very much)

I'm really diggin' the low ABV batches these provide with so much flavor. To be fair, I've shot for 4.7% and somehow thru the marvels of a 13 yo's "squeezing" of the mash got it to 5.3% 🤣

I'm really diggin' the low ABV batches these provide with so much flavor. To be fair, I've shot for 4.7% and somehow thru the marvels of a 13 yo's "squeezing" of the mash got it to 5.3% 🤣
ETA: I had a comment about liquid extraction, but there's no way to say that and remain in the neutral zone.

Let's just say we need a mechanical solution to extracting all remaining wort from the grain. Maybe a system of bungees and pulleys, or some kind of air-pressure squeeze bag that wraps around the BIAB bag... would it be easier/as efficient as sparging? I'd like to think so.

Last edited:
ETA: I had a comment about liquid extraction, but there's no way to say that and remain in the neutral zone.

Let's just say we need a mechanical solution to extracting all remaining wort from the grain. Maybe a system of bungees and pulleys, or some kind of air-pressure squeeze bag that wraps around the BIAB bag... would it be easier/as efficient as sparging? I'd like to think so.

I suppose I get off easy here, as my assistant really enjoys filling in as the "human version" of the solution you are proposing. :D

FWIW, I do MIAB with a 5 gallon round cooler. For 4.5/corny keg batches I generally do 2 runnings/batch sparge.

The bag only gets squeezed after the 2nd sparge, and we generally recoup as much as 1L of usable sweet wort. An inverted colander that fits PERFECTLY in the bottom of a 5gal bucket is what we use to squeeze against.

As our batch sizes are in the 19L (post boil) and 22L (pre-boil) range, that last liter really helps!

Now I'm gonna need to fiddle with the mash efficiency in BrewFather as mid-70s% is too low.

EDIT: I've got a buddy that has an apple press... hmmm 🤔

Last edited:
3367.8 + 12 gal American Premium lager = 3379.8

3379.8+ 13.5 gallons LA Lager-ish thing = 3393.3

I also learned on this batch that while the fermenter can hold this much, it's pretty much the limit for the kettle... well a little over max - first boil over, so sticky.

I also learned on this batch that while the fermenter can hold this much, it's pretty much the limit for the kettle... well a little over max - first boil over, so sticky.

I push my kettle to the max as well. Have you tried first wort hopping?

Creeping up on and hitting a stable boil...

20210601_111845.jpg
20210601_112003.jpg
20210601_112659.jpg

Back