How many gallons at a time do you brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost always 5 gallons. that is what I have the equipment for, and it works for me.

So 5 gallons will last you will you prepare a new brew?

I try to brew 5 gallons a week and it seems to keep a good pipeline going without going overboard, however my wife and I have basially stopped buying commercial beer and I like to have a few brews after work pretty much every day. I'd say I brew an average of 15-20 gallons a month, accounting for the occasional weekend I take off to do big yard work or other projects.

If I had my way I'd own 100 carboys and brew 5 days a week!! :rockin:

Usually five as I like to play around, but can go 10 to brew up some staple beers. I can only hold 2 cornies in the kegerator and 4 in the lagering fridge so that is my limiter...unless I'm in the mood to bottle. I'm right there with Strat...I don't much buy commercial beer anymore, especially after Washington just hit us with a big new beer tax.

I have been doing 5-6 gallon batches, but it is so dang hot here in Texas I am moving to 10-11 gallon batches to brew less often but keep my pipeline full. I have 6 kegs full on tap with usually 1 fermenting and 1 in the dry hop secondary stage at all times. When I get any lower than that I panic :drunk:

i do 5 gallon batches right now. i hope to get a keggle eventually to allow me to brew my house beers less often in 10 gallon batches. I also like to do 2-4 gallon batches to split up into smaller experiments.

between 1 and 5. Though, this weekend I'm doing a 6.5 gallon brew and splitting it into two to add peppers to one and raspberry to the other :D

I do one gallon cider and experimental batches and usually my regular batches are three gallons. I do five gallons from time to time.

My GF and I don't drink too much (usually two or three beers two or three times a week) so a batch lasts us a while. We've got about 4 gallons of different homebrews we're drinking, 3 gallons bottle conditioning, and six gallons brewing.

I brew 5.5 gallons at a time. But I brew often to keep up with demand.

I try to keep everything full all the time.

2 primarys
3 Secondarys
5 5L kegs
12 cases of bottles

As soon as I have enough empty bottles and kegs to bottle a batch I have the beer waiting for it and everything moves down the line.

10 gallons of house beers 5 on less drinkable stuff 2 15 gal sankes and 2 7.5 sanke fermenters keeps the 3 taps full

I brew 10 gallons at a time, using the same yeast strain for both, with a nice starter made for both.

5 gallon batches. Would like to start doing 10 but I'll wait til after the wedding when the Wife moves down here and there is more $$$ to brew more and more people to drink it.

I do 10 gallons at a time, on my system both a 5 or 10 gallon batch take the same amount of time to brew.

My wife and I are both in the military, have a 3 year old son, and just bought a house last year. I need to capitalize on the free time I have to brew.

I usually brew 5 gallon batches with my 10 gallon ones being a split between myself and a friend to ferment, but thanks to me getting off my duff and finally putting my fermenter collar on, I can now do 10 gallons for myself with room to ferment 15 gallons.

I brew 2.5 gallon batches. I have small equipment. 5 gallon brew pot, 5 gallon cooler, 15 ft counter-flow chiller into 3 gallon Better Bottles. It makes 20 bottles. I have four BB fermenters, and if I feel like it I have a 6.5 gallons carboy and a 5 gallon carboy. Small batch, no sparge.

ive done 10 but since I only have 1 keggle and a 10 gallon pot its kind of a headache 5 is easy plus its heavy unless you have a pump

I brew either 6 or 12 gallon batches. These are the recipe batch sizes anticipating the inevitable losses on the way to the kegs. I want one or two full 5 gallon kegs in the end. Nothing bugs me more than to brew a batch and end up with less than full kegs for my effort. Any excess beer goes into two liter bottles which I can quickly carb and drink right away. Sort of a bonus, if you will.

I've been doing 2 - 5 gallon batches at a time. It takes me around 4 hours to do 1 5 gallon batch, and about 5 hours to do two. I do the 60 minute boil of the first while the second is in the mash tun. Works pretty well.

Once I finish my 15 gallon brew pot, I'll hopefully just do 10 gallons at a time.

Usually 5.5 gallons but I've done a few of 8 gallons split into 2 carboys. One with one yeast, the other with another. It's nice to experiment. My buddy bottles half, and I keg the rest.

Usually 3 gallons of beer at a time.

Usually 1 gallon of cider at a time (don't have it down yet).

Usually 5-6 gallons of wine at a time.

SWMBO's favorite is champagne, so until I start brewing that we'll be buying commercial for a while. We don't drink much, so it doesn't make sense to brew too much at a time. Next batch I'm trading for some deer sausage, so it's not a waste to make it, and I get something I don't normally get, so win-win. :)

I do 10. 2 fives of different kinds but similar ferm schedules/requirements. 2 batches, 1 clean up. Lazy.

I can and have done 10g, but I really like variety. I don't have a lot of friends that drink "good" beer, so I drink about 80% of what I brew. And since I brew 3-4 times a month...ten gallons is a bit much.

I do brew ten gallons when I'm brewing something that co-workers/friends would like (heffe, pilsner, etc).

It's also nice to have the setup for high-gravity brews. I can collect 12 gallons of wort, and boil down to 6 for fermenting.

I brew 10 gallon batches, with the occasional 5 gallon high gravity, or experimental batch. It's the same amount of work to brew 5 gallons, or 10, and I'm kinda lazy, hence the 10 gallon batches.

Plus, I now ferment in Sanke kegs, so I have the room. The carboys have been demoted. I have plans on doing a mead and a cider this year, so the 5 gallon carboys will be used for those, and the 6.5 gallon carboys will be used for the HG and X beers.

5 gals every weekend like clock work.
It seems to flow out at the other end of the pipeline at just the right rate that way.

I do 5 gallons at a time, usually twice a month. It'd be more if I had more time off from work.

10g batches for me. If I am going to spend 5 hours brewing, I want to get as much out of it as possible. My time is valuable and limited.

Wife = more brew money? May I ask in what world do you live Sir?

We live in two different states so When she moves to Texas we'll only be paying for one place. Plus she makes way more than me (assuming once she gets a new job that will continue). I do realize this extra money not paying for two places won't all go to beer and but she brews too I think some will.

Ask me in a year or so....haha.

Latest posts

Back