How many batches per propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I was wondering how many batches you guys think you can do on a standard grill size propane tank on an outdoor burner?

I honestly don't know as I always make sure I have a full backup. I think at least three though. Of course burner, batch size, process (AG, extract, full-boil, 1/2 boil, sparge, etc.) will vary quite a bit.

this is covered multiple times on here... it depends on burner size, rate of boil, and if you use it to heat everything or to just boil. search is really the key here...

A lot depends on how long your boil is, how much you use it to heat the water before each step, etc... Plus, how much wind you have to deal with on that day. I've had as few as two batches from a tank, or up to about 4. Last batch used about 1/4 of a 20# tank.

I do look forward to the day when I'll be brewing at my own house. I plan to either have a LARGE propane tank, or use natural gas to feed burners.

Crap shoot. I'd guess about 4- five gallon batches on average though. Sometimes when it's cold out I heat my strike water inside on the stove. And to offset that, sometimes I use Pils and do a 90 minute boil. (shrug) I always have a spare too, so I don't keep all that close of a tab on it.

I'd have to say I get about 3 batches per tank. SQ14 runs constantly on brew day between heating water and boil. A spare tank is a must.

everything being said here is about what I've experienced. I've had as few as 2, as many as 4. Depends on what's up with that batch.

What size batch? Where do you get your tank filled? How long do you boil? With no more information than you supplied this comparison information is useless. Seeing as how you are a Michigan guy I will tell you that the "Blue Rhino" tanks are filled with 15# of propane. The Ameri gas are maybe 17# If you have a reliable propane refill place nearby you will get 20# fills, cheaper then those gas station "propane in a cage" fills. That being said. For a 75 minute boil I average 2½ # for a 6 gallon batch and 5# for a 11 gallon batch. So 8 batches of 6 gallon .... 4 batches of 11 gallon. I currently pay $16.96 with tax for a 20 # fill. I can get cheaper but the drive time and car fuel price makes the one closest to my house the most cost effective.

if your cheap like me at least 12 5 gallon batches. I heat my mash water on the stove, as soon as I mash in I start my sparge water on the stove than I use the propane burner for my 60 minute boil. Also helps to brew in the garage out of the wind.

if your cheap like me at least 12 5 gallon batches. I heat my mash water on the stove, as soon as I mash in I start my sparge water on the stove than I use the propane burner for my 60 minute boil. Also helps to brew in the garage out of the wind.

How do you know it's cheaper to heat your mash and sparge on the stove? I couldn't see bringing 9 gallon of mash water and 8 gallon of sparge water on a stove.

Ya, 17 gallons would take a bit on the stove. I heat 4 gallons to 175 from a outdoor tap at 50 in about a 40 mins. Which is usually the amount of time it takes to prep everything I need anyways. I've done some catering, a half hours time on a household oven equates to about 15 cents.

I get about 2 - 2.5 batches out of a propane tank, using BG-14 banjos. Heating 19gal strike water 50-165 takes 40 mins or so, then heat it up to 170 and hold it. Sometimes I use more propane to step the temp up in the mash tun on a BG-12. Then take 15-20 to go from sparge to a boil, and hold the boil for at least 60 minutes.

I had a full tank and just boiled two batches (hour boils - so maybe 3 hours total running gas) and it's noticeably lighter. I was wondering the same thing today, I'm guessing I have maybe 2 or 3 batches before this tank tanks.

Keep a spare handy.

I just did a 10 gallon batch with all the water heating and boiling done by a KAB6. First time using it and I probably used between a third and a half a tank, going by the tank gauge and just feeling the condensation line.

I'm hoping I can figure out how "go easy" on it and still get quick boils, but I fear I'll probably use more when it's cold outside. It was quite the opposite of cold outside yesterday.

Also, the tank swap places like Blue Rhino or Amerigas only give you 15 lbs. If you get it filled it will be closer to 20 lbs.

This thread is reinforcing my thoughts to go all electric. I havn't purchased a propane burner yet, but am using heat sticks on the stove so far. Just need to outfit my 21 gallon VAT with a 5500watt burner. $4 or so for 5 gallons of brew...too much.

This thread is reinforcing my thoughts to go all electric. I havn't purchased a propane burner yet, but am using heat sticks on the stove so far. Just need to outfit my 21 gallon VAT with a 5500watt burner. $4 or so for 5 gallons of brew...too much.

Electric is very nice to use, but expensive to set up and wouldn't pay for itself in energy savings for a long time. Propane, even at $5 a batch, is still much cheaper than the relative cost of ingredients- especially if hops were to go up in price again like they did in 08/09.

It's like buying a new Nissan Leaf to save on gas instead of driving your 15 year old Ford Explorer. Just my opinion.

This question recurs, and the answer is entirely dependent on such variables as 1) your system, 2) the brews that you do, and 3) how hard you boil, and 4) re: the post of "crowbait," how you heat your water. I was getting around 5 batches per tank, when a big price jump in propane made me rethink my process.
With very little extra effort, I can now heat not only my MLT preheat water but a good bit of my strike and sparge water indoors on our propane cooktop, where I can take advantage of the cheaper gas coming from our 1K gal. bulk tank, rather than the more expensive stuff coming from the 20 lb. grill tank.
My last batch, I used only 2.5 lbs. of propane from the small tank. Do the math.

Electric is very nice to use, but expensive to set up and wouldn't pay for itself in energy savings for a long time. Propane, even at $5 a batch, is still much cheaper than the relative cost of ingredients- especially if hops were to go up in price again like they did in 08/09.

Electric is more like $1 a batch. Depending on how often one brews, the equipment costs can be recovered quite quickly.

Electric is more like $1 a batch. Depending on how often one brews, the equipment costs can be recovered quite quickly.

I spend around $3 a batch for propane now, and brew around 15 - 20 x 5 gal batches a year. At a savings of $2 per batch, that would average around $35 a year. For any controlled electric system (I have no interest in heatsticks, and several very good reasons why I won't use one that are irrelevant to this thread) that would take me way, way longer than I plan on living to amortize the cost of an electric brew rig. I simply could never justify it on fuel savings alone.

There are other reasons to go electric, and I'd like to, but once again, that discussion is beyond the bounds of this thread.

I'd guess I get three in (using it for heating the HLT, as well) on a 20lb tank. It's not empty at that point, but the pressure begins to wane a bit so I swap it onto the gas grill. I have four tanks that I rotate around between brand new exchange, brewery, and gas grill.

I built 2 1500 watt heat sticks to do 7.5gallon boils. Each heatstick was $40. The price of 2 burners = $100+, 2 tanks = $80+ plus fillup . So no cost to recover with heatsticks. In electric they run like 60 cents a brew. So electric can definitely be the cheapest route. I couldn't imagine the hassle of hauling propane tanks to get filled every 2-3 brews. At $16 a pop.

This just reinforced how much of a savings it really is.

Estimate 24 brews a year. Runs me at most $15 in electric With gas at least $150. 10x

Plus you can brew indoors safely and insulate your pots fully.

I brew 11.5 gallon batches in a 2-tier keggle all-grain system, and usually use around 7.5 lbs of propane per batch. That is with 90 minute boils, too...

Yeah, I do mostly 10 gal batches myself and have been wondering what it would take to splice a 1/4 in flex line off my gas meter area directly to my burner. With a shutoff valve at the meter. Would save me many Home Depot trips!

It also depends on whether you are exchanging your tanks or getting them refilled. If you are exchanging them, you are not getting a full 20# of propane, but rather anywhere from 15-17#. This would shorten your tank life also.

I place drywall around all 4 sides of the burner....brings my "to-boil" time down significantly.

Yeah, I do mostly 10 gal batches myself and have been wondering what it would take to splice a 1/4 in flex line off my gas meter area directly to my burner. With a shutoff valve at the meter. Would save me many Home Depot trips!

A decent plumber can do that for you in no time. I was actually thinking of switching to a natural gas burner since I have the line run to my grill already. I wish I could find a natural gas burner that isn't so pricey.

I'm late to the party by about a decade but I get at least six 5.5 gallon batches from a tank of propane. Probably more, and I should really test that starting with my next refill.

I heat mash water and some of the spare water on the kitchen stove, which saves a lot on propane.

i'm going to contribute to this...and brewing 10 gallon batches with a propane cylinder, and thinking noise meant heat...i got two 10 gallon batches brewed. when i realized noise isn't heat, and actually tuned the flame to be gentle big blue flames, 3 plus.....

A lot depends on your kettle/burner setup. I started with a converted keg and was getting 2-3 brews per tank, A lot of heat was running up the side of the kettle. A good pot with a flat copper bottom will do better, as will a better burner than the cheapo Bayou Classic I was running. I ended up going electric, unless doing a BIAB at an event. I pretty much gave away my old homebuilt 3 tier system.

A decent plumber can do that for you in no time. I was actually thinking of switching to a natural gas burner since I have the line run to my grill already. I wish I could find a natural gas burner that isn't so pricey.
Our HVAC guy set me up with a NG setup when we got our new furnace. It's solid and will never leak, and comes off the line that goes to the hot water heater with a sturdy safety valve and heavy-duty brass disconnect specifically for NG, and 12' hoses going to the burners. I had two BG12 burners (only good for propane) that were fairly new and could not justify the cost of BG14s, also they're damned hard to find that will fit my brewstand. So I took apart the orifices on the BG12s and very carefully drilled them a bit bigger; I think the final bit I used was 7/64". Put them back together with lots of blue monster tape, and it works very well. I do get a bit of soot but nothing like I used to get with propane. Used to start every brewday worrying did I have enough propane, now my three tanks sit idle, and I can boil as long as I want to. Absolute best improvement I've made to my brewery, hands down.

Back